Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reader X seizes when scrolling through document

Apr 4, 2012 12:56 PM

Good afternoon all.

I'm running a GW-M285, with 4gb ram, a 500gb hdd, and Win7Ult.

It's the Intel T5500, 1.67ghz processor.

I have been noticing lately when working with pdf files that the new Acrobat X reader seizes, and stops responding. In checking the system resources I see nothing that would denote the system being overloaded.

Has anyone else had this kind of issue before?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to SteveDBIMe

I see the same issue on Windows XP SP 3 with Internet Explorer 8.  The status bar shows only a small portion of the file is downloading and the numbers never change until it says "done".  Then if I scroll through the document, eventually it freezes and the browser tab that's allocated to Reader won't display at all.  Then I see the message "There was an error processing a page. A file I/O error has occurred."  This message comes from Acrobat Reader, not IE. 

I've had this trouble on several Acrobat versions.  Adobe needs to get on the stick and fix this issue, as Foxit Reader doesn't have it. 

Here is a sample link that shows the problem: 

http://www.npsoregon.org/kalmiopsis/kalmiopsis02/garrett_youtie.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:19 PM   in reply to SteveDBIMe

Could you post a link to a file that freezes reliably?  I know with the file example I provided, though not the same problem as yours, that I am able to replicate the freeze across multiple computers.  It could still be a server issue in this situation, but I see the problem on so many files all over the web that I suspect Acrobat and/or other software such as a firewall. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to SteveDBIMe

Hi Steve,

What version of Reader are you using?

Also does the problem exist with every kind of PDF or some specific PDF's?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to n8turepix

Hi n8turepix,

What version Adobe reader are you using?

Also the problem appears to be related to accessing the PDF over Internet.

Can you try accessing the following link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Rel easeNote_10.1.3.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to Nikhil.Gupta

I'm on Reader 8.1.4, so we should take this discussion to another thread.  I thought I'd get prompted to upgrade to later versions but that didn't happen.  First, I'll try going to the X version and see if that changes the behavior.  When I tried your link, there was no problem loading it in 8.1.4, it came up quickly.  I do believe this issue is Internet related as I've not seen the application freeze when loading from my computer's disk. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 3:13 AM   in reply to n8turepix

Hi Hi n8turepix,

I recommend you to install lates version of Reader and hope that it solves all your problems.

You can install it from: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

-Nikhil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 3:20 AM   in reply to SteveDBIMe

Hi SteveDBIMe,

Can you try launching Adobe Reader without opening any PDF and see if the Reader freezes?

Also what antivirus do you have?

-Nikhil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to SteveDBIMe

HI Steve,

Please disable your antivirus temporarily and then try to open the following PDF:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Rel easeNote_10.1.3.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 4:07 AM   in reply to SteveDBIMe

Hi

We have had a similar problem. What worked for me so far is regedit>HKEYCU>Software>Adobe> then rename (or delete) the Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat entries. It appears if you have older versions installed like 8 or 9 there is some conflict with the older versions recorded in the registry.

So far so good, hope you get it sorted out.

Simon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points