Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin

Apr 18, 2012 5:39 AM

Hi,

I've been reading, looking for a solution to an image conversion problem. If I create and place an image in Illustrator (for example combining a car drawing and the sun-2 items in one drawing), then export an ePub, convert for Kindle to mobi using the Kindle plugin or Calibre, I am getting the second item (in this case the sun) below the car instead of where it should be. I've tried every conceiveable variation: re-did the image in Fireworks as a PNG, re-saved into jpeg, used the AI image directly, etc. I've unzipped the ePub, but can see no way to fix the car-sun problem.

renderinitialwsun.pngscreenshot1.jpg

original as placed in InDesign project                  converted version

Any help with this image problem much appreciated. (Wish: CS6 InDesign exports for mobi).

Regards,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to saratogacoach

When you place the Illustrator image (combined car and sun) into InDesign, it's already one object. When you export to EPUB, it will be rasterized using the Image settings in EPUB export. You should preview the EPUB first before converting to the Kindle MOBI format. You could view it in Adobe Digital Editions (free download from Adobe) or any other free EPUB reader (Reader Library from Sony, etc.).

What does it look like then? Then do the conversion. If it is  indeed one image, I don't see how the conversion process could move around the pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

It looks like it was combined in InDesign, not Illustrator.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

He SAYS he combined in Illustrator, but maybe he misspoke: "If I create and place an image in Illustrator (for example combining a car drawing and the sun-2 items in one drawing),"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to saratogacoach

So it looks OK in EPUB, but both the KindleGen method and the Calibre method of converting to MOBI produce the same result? (I've never moved from EPUB to KIndle so only know of these theoretically.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points