Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Like' or Thumbs Up system.

Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I go about creating a 'like' system for entries? I'm creating a mini-blog system off of a guestbook format.

Basically I figure a star rating system for each post would be tricky. I just want something where a user would click a link under the post, it would store information in the database every time somebody clicked it, and then display the number of clicks back on the post. I'd also like to stop users from liking the post more than once if possible.

I am fairly new to this but I'm not just looking for code, I want to know how to do it myself.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a user vote table with user id and post id as the primary key.  That will prevent double entries.  When the user selects the voting image, go to a page that inserts your record.

If you want to be thorough, you can also allow people to not like something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what database engine you're using, you could use the MERGE statement, certainly works in SQL Server. It's basically an INSERT or DELETE depending on whether the data's already there or not, which would absolutely prevent duplicates without the need for doing a separate SELECT statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay great, thanks for all the help. How would I insert the record? What would I use to insert a record into the database when the link is clicked, and how would I display the number of clicks, or the number of records on the original post?

The blog will have many posts, so will I need to create a new table for every post? How would I get different results for each one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've heard good things about the books, "Database Design for Mere Mortals" and "Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes".  The nature of your questions suggests that you don't know very much about databases.

That's ok though.  We are all new at least once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation