Skip navigation
Murray in Perth WA
Currently Being Moderated

How to I produce a PDF which goes right to the edge on a Mac?

Apr 17, 2012 8:20 PM

Tags: #pdf #printing #acrobat_x_pro #acrobat_pdf_printing #printer_problem

How to I produce a PDF which goes right to the edge on a Mac? I have recently moved to a Mac. I now have Acrobat X Pro 10.1.3, and Mac OS X 10.7.3. When I used Windows and Acrobat X Pro I was able to print to Acrobat to produce documents which went right to the edge on screen. Now on Mac I can only produce documents which have a border on them. I expect I am missing something quite fundamental, but it is frustrating me so I am seeking some help from those who know how to do this. Thank you in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 9:49 PM   in reply to Murray in Perth WA

What program are you creating your PDF from? It has nothing to do with computer platform, it's all in how the file was created and in how the choices for PDF creation are selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to Murray in Perth WA

I use Word occasionally for writing text but it's a little hard for me to visualize what it is you're doing in Word that would go to the edge of a page. What you're talking about is usually done in some sort of page layout program. In that kind of program (e.g., InDesign or Pages), you can place objects all the way to the edge and overlapping to create a bleed. But Word is really not designed to do that because it's a word processor.

Can you attach an image of what you're trying to create using the camera icon in the forum editing window?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to Murray in Perth WA

So I did a little exploring in Word for the Mac. I set the Word margins to 0 inches, then I placed a picture that went to the edges of the page.

The problem seems be that Word is very simple-minded, and when in the Print dialog, it adjusts the preview of the Print feature to the margins of the currently-selected printer. For my HP inkjet printer, that's about 1/8" in from the edges. When that data is passed to OS X to create a PDF, it uses those margins in the PDF file.

In Word for Windows, Acrobat installs a PDFMaker plug-in for Word. PDFMaker contols the creation of PDF so there are a lot more settings possible.

Acrobat has never made a plug-in for Word for the Mac. As to why, this has been debated endlessly for the past 15 or so years. Adobe claims that Microsoft doesn't provide the handles to do it in the Mac version of Word. Whether that's true, I don't know.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points