Skip navigation
hellopaul3
Currently Being Moderated

AE Render Engine watch folder frequency change

Apr 17, 2012 5:32 PM

Hello,

I have anywhere between one and three machines that I use for a render-smallholding, which sit there watching a folder every ten seconds waiting to render something. My IT/network guys have told me that every time AE sniffs at the watch folder, it causes some slowdown of the network (which results in dropped frames for other users running FCP7 - not that it take anything more than someone sneezing in the next town to make FCP drop frames!).

So...does anyone know of a way of making AE sniff at the watch folder LESS frequently? Maybe every 30 seconds instead of every 10 seconds? There's nothing in the preferences, but I wonder if there's some kinda config file that I can tweak?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to hellopaul3

Umm...

My IT/network guys have told me that every time AE sniffs at the watch folder, it causes some slowdown of the network

...which in turn probably means that your network setup sucks in the first place. No offense, but you're probably looking to solve the problem on the wrong end. Beef up your servers, create a separate subnet/ sub-domain with its own set of IPs, optimize the mapping/ routing to avoid network collisions, map the AE render folder to its own drive on the server and allocate proper user resources. I mean, FCP dropping frames when someoen else accesses the server is a clear sign of network collisions because everything is handled through the same conenctions, which is just not smart. How do you get anything done at all? Saving a simple graphic or text document to this setup would cause issues....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points