Skip navigation
brkofdon
Currently Being Moderated

Eyedropper Current Layer sampling problem.

Apr 17, 2012 12:15 PM

Tags: #photoshop #color #picker #eye_dropper_problem #eyedropper #cs5.1 #eyedropper_tool

Using the "current layer" sampling setting for the eye dropper before I apply any top layer adjustments (adding a top layer with a different blending more or adding an adjustment layer) it works fine. When I use any adjustment layers or any layer that has a blending mode, it affects the way the eyedropper picks color especially when set to current layer.

For instance, If I paint a new blank layer with random colors, I create a black and white adjustment layer on top of that one, I select the first color layer I go to pick a color using the eye dropper with the current layer sampling set, it picks a grey color (which is wrong). BUT!! if I open up the color picker with the color layer selected it picks the correct color. Now, if I delete the black and white adjustment layer, and I am back to only having the color layer, I then go to pick a color with current layer sampling still set, it chooses a grey color again?!?! There are no more layers on top of the original color layer I painted first, and yet it chooses a grey color?!?! I hope this makes sense, any ideas on why this is happening?

I am working on Photoshop CS5 12.1 64bit

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to brkofdon

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:50 AM   in reply to brkofdon

Curiously I could reproduce the behaviour in CS5 (12.0.4 on Mac OS 10.6.8) once, but not anymore.

And in the CS6 public beta it seems to work as expected right away.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

I'm having the same problem in CS5.

With current layer selected and a not visible layer of curves (contrast) and trying to pick from the current layer it picks as if the curves layer was visible.

I have attached 2 images: first trying to pick with the curves layer off (you can see that it's picking a black color where brown should be picked. Second one with the curves layer on.

Captura-de-pantalla1.jpg

Captura-de-pantalla2.jpg

After restarting Photoshop every thing work fine again. So I have assumed that the problem is vinculated with the action done before:

1. Duplicate image 2 times
    2. Gaussian blur of 6px to the first image
    3. Apply image of the gaussian (RGB channel) inverted in mode "Add", scale 2, displacement 0.
    4. And I create a group as you can see on the screen shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh6eIyrzbt0&t=1m8s

I can reproduce this issue every time I use this technique...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 1:17 AM   in reply to estmargue

I can reproduce this problem with a simple image too and just opening a curves adjustement layer.

capturapantalla3.jpg

If I restart photoshop, all is fine again, until I open the curves layer and try again to use the color picker... ¿Any idea to solve this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 1:48 AM   in reply to estmargue

Ok, I have tried it on the windows version and it doesn't happen.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points