Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Branched: 'InDesign CS5.5 has stopped working'

Apr 18, 2012 10:33 AM

This problem has suddenly become epidemic.  It happens to me now every half hour or so --- for the past two weeks or so.  Even when I merely have ID CS5 running in the background.  It seems to happen to all kinds of files: one I created in CS5.5 on another computer then downgraded via IDML back to CS5, others that I created in this CS5 program, others that I imported from CS4 for updating.

It seems very apparent that this is some external conflict, not an error in the way users are manipulating ID CS5 files.

Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to bizpubs

Although crashes often seem to be the same as someone else's problem, they usually are not, and it's best to start your own thread, so I've branched this off into a new discussion.

Please provide more details about version of ID and your OS, and if you have a crash report please post it on Pastebin.com (NOT here) and put a link here. Akos describe waht sorts of things youare doing when the crash happens, and what you doen so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to bizpubs

Are both computer connected to any common network?

can you provide the crash log?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to bizpubs

There might be a Dr. Watson log on the XP machine. The bad news is that XP 64 bit is not a supported OS, so mostly you're on your own there, and sometimes things just don't work.

Any common utilities, font manager or the like on both systems? Any idea what you might have changed a week or two ago? have you tried using system restore to see if you can go back in time to when it didn't happen?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to bizpubs

Its pretty strange that on both the machine it is crashing which have different OS and different version of the Indesign...

As peter said you can collect the crash log from Dr.watson ,

under Windows, hit Windows-R and paste in “%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson” and then open DRWTSN32.LOG. Windows just keeps adding new crash logs to that file, so go to the end and search backwards for “App: ” and make sure you’ve got the correct crash (InDesign.exe).

Also can you check in teh selective startup , is there any other application that may be conflicting.:- http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-servic es-windows.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Another case of I misread a post and saw XP instead of Windows 8. Windows 7 doesn't have Dr. Watson logs, and I doubt they brought them back for Windows 8.

Aside form "you take your chances with beta  software" I'm pretty sure Bob has been running Windows 8 for a few months with no problems, so I still think there's a common utility or something that conflicts.

Since the OP is unwilling to run system restore as a diagnostic test, though, I don't see much point in going further.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 19, 2012 11:02 PM   in reply to bizpubs

At the risk of not being helpful:

Because Adobe bizarrely continues to fail to include Autosave with ID, there's no solution other than to re-create lost changes and try to remember to save every 60 seconds.

InDesign does have automatic file recovery, and as of CS5 it works pretty well.

After the program crashes, it should restart and prompt you to open the crash-recovered file.

If that does not happen for you, it might suggest that your crashes are relating to the autosave functionality [???].

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to bizpubs

Recovery files are probably not quite the same as the autosave files you are looking for. They're stored in your InDesign Recovery folder in your user library/profile unless you've moved the recovery folder in the prefs. As far as I know, However, they can only be read by ID as it starts up, not through any sort of normal File > Open.. command, and I don't believe they are human readable, but John may know more about them.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 20, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have nothing to add over Peter on this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)