Skip navigation
Alex DeJesus 494 posts
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Row of clips to crawl across the screen - Which video formats work best?

Apr 18, 2012 8:30 AM

I want to bring in short segments of video from Premiere in a crawl to introduce the steps of a tutorial as part of the title sequence. Source footage is HDV, and final product will be on DVD and YouTube, etc. I imported the entire Premiere project into AE and using the individual clips for the crawl. It works if I resize/crop them in a precomp, but it may be putting an unneccesary load on the computer. I am wondering how that is normally done. Should I export smaller clips from Premiere, and, if so, in what format? I watched a tutorial on Lynda.com thata had a similar thing using 'TIF' files at 10 fps for the crawling clips, but no explanation why.

The entire video is short, less than 4 minutes and my system is reasonably capable.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

You should be okay working with the imported Premiere Project.  But don't expect to import the completed AE project back into Premiere: render it out, and don't use HDV for the codec; it's very lossy.  Depending on your AE version & system setup, you may have to turn off multiprocessing in AE Preferences. 

And NEVER use Open GL to accelerate your rendering: it causes so many problems that Adobe removed the option to use it in the latest version of AE.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

I'm a Quicktime guy, even on my 24 GB, dual-quad-core Windows box at home.  I like QT's PNG codec.  If you're not a fan of huge file sizes, Avid offers its DNxHD QT codec for both Windows and Mac, it's free and it's reputed to have extremely good image quality: the quality's right there with Apple's ProRes 422, which is NOT universally available.  I'm on Macs at work and Windows at home, but I'm yet to convince the techs to augment (gasp!) the codec selection in our edit suites.  So I don't have personal experience with DNxHD.  But one of the guys mentioned below sure talks it up!

If you're at NAB right now, just go to the Adobe booth and discuss your needs.  Look at CS6.  Get your answers from the Horse's Mouth.

Don't think you'll get a straight answer from Adobe?  Try to find a guy named Walter Soyka and grill him.  Very knowledgeable & authoritative.  So is another gent, Walter Biscardi.  You may find them at the Creative COW booth, or they may be busy running demos for other products.  These guys are g-o-o-d, GOOD!

Premiere Pro CS6 is a LOT better than CS5, I'm told.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points