• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Safari- pdf problem

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- as of 4-10-12, i updated adobe reader for mac- all pdf's displayed in safari are adobe, and it is quite problematic- now cannot save from safari, and the save from adobe is a problem, as i cannot copy titles into the save window, and now have to handtype complex titles, often in foreign languages- how do i revert back, or, how to completely uninstall adobe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please share the following details:

- What is the version of Acrobat /Reader you are using?

- Which operating system are you working on?

- What is the version of Safari?

Thanks,

hit.anand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in response to your questions:

OX is 10.6.8

- Safari is 5.1.5

-Adobe is X-10.3.1 (recently upgraded)

-This problem just started, and the problem i have with it is slow uploads, and embedded pdf files in Safari cannot be saved or printed from safari (I do not like printer options from Adobe at all) and i cannot cut and paste from pdf files in safari, which i need to do to save titles of manuscripts, for using quotes, and for google translate.

As of last night i get black screens for pdfs uplaoded in safari- and pdf's that were observable now have "No-plug in" on screen (this seems to be an old problem that just recently hit me)

- i checked in Library-Internet plug in folder and there is nothing there.

I have wanted to go back to Preview as a default, but have not figured out how.

-This recent change did solve one minor porblem i had with a site i downloaded reports from- 2 or so months ago the reports changed from pdfs to webarchives, so i had to use Firefox to download as pdf's- now safari downloads them as pdf's (until last night) and now firefox does not download pdf's.

these are the kind of porblems why i shifted from windows to mac years agao, and now may go back!!!

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try running Safari in 64bit mode (via Finder -> Applications -> right-click Safari -> Get Info -> check Open in 64-bit mode).

If it still doesn't work then I am suspecting that your PDFViewer.plugin is corrupt.  Can you please try reinstalling Reader and see if it works for you.

However, before reinstalling please delete the below mentioned files from the following location “/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/”

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Once you have deleted the above files please download and reinstall Reader 10.1.3 from here

regards,

hit.anand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info

the problem is there is no plugins in the Internet plugins folder- not when problem first occured and not now with new problem.

so should i uninstall and re-install adobe first?

md

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat are two separate products.

Now, Adobe Reader is not provided with an uninstaller. So what you have to do is simply download and install Reader 10.1.3 from the following link http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5363

However, if you have Adobe Acrobat installed and you don't wish to install Reader along with it then you can uninstall Acrobat and then reinstall Acrobat and then update it to the latest version 10.1.3.

Please reply back if you have any queries.

Hope this helps,

regards,

hit.anand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem to this. I am running 10.6.8 and recently upgraded to Abode Reader 10.3.1 (I also have Adobe Acrobat, but I guess that has nothing to do with plugins). I have Safari 5.1.5. Since the recent update of Reader, I cannot view any pdfs in Safari or Firefox. I am forced to 'save as' and then open separately. Like md cactus, no Abode plugins show when I go to library > internet plugins. Also, there is no option to open Safari in 64-bit mode; only 32-bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say that / Library / Internet Plug-ins / is empty... that confuses me because this is where Adobe puts its pdfviewer plug-in.

Can you please verify:

Are you looking at the top-level "Library" folder on your disk, or the "Library" folder in your home directory /Users/<your-user-name>/Library ?

---You should be looking in the former, and see AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin.

On OSX 10.6.8 and Safari version 5.1.5 Adobe supports pdf viewer plugin in Safari in 64bit mode only.

For Firefox, Adobe Supports Firefox version 10.0 or later and in 32bit mode only. So if are using some older versions of Firefox then please upgrade it to 10 or later.

Hope this helps,

hit.anand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having problems as well. Using Reader 10.1.3 and OS 10.7.3, Safari 5.1.5.

If I choose File>Save As... in an attempt to save a PDF I'm viewing then I get a dialog box prompting me to "export as...", and if I follow through it doesn’t work and I get an error message saying in effect the page "cannot be exported."

If, with the same PDF, I click the disk icon in the pop-up viewer at the bottom of the page then I get a dialog prompting me to "save a copy as...." and it works as expected.

I've reinstalled Reader and get the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I tried everything. The only thing that worked was taking the computer down

to Apple tore genius bar and having them delete all the miscelaneous crap

adobe leaves behind..which was a lot...now i am back to normal. FYI- the

folks at Apple store had not heard of this problem..but they fixed it..but

can't use adobe reader now

md cactus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I tried everything. The only thing that worked was taking the computer down

to Apple tore genius bar and having them delete all the miscelaneous crap

adobe leaves behind..which was a lot...now i am back to normal. FYI- the

folks at Apple store had not heard of this problem..but they fixed it..but

can't use adobe reader now

md cactus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen the same problem using Safari 5.1.5 and OS X 10.7.3 after updating to Reader 10.1.3. I deleted the file

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin and the problem is now gone. Not only that, but PDF files are displayed much faster with the WebKit built-in PDF plug-in!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the problem i had with the new version of adobe x is they don't

deposit a plug in in the library, so there is nothing to delete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! It works. I was indeed looking in the wrong place for those plugin files. It's under Macintosh HD > Library > Internet plug-ins (not Users > my name > Library > Internet plug-ins). I deleted the two files and then reinstalled Reader 10.1.3. I also changed Firefox to open in 32-bit, and both Safari and Firefox are working now. Thanks hit.anand and the rest of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi md cactus,

Please look for the pdfviewer plugins under Macintosh HD > Library > Internet plug-ins  (not Users > username > Library > Internet plug-ins).

Delete the plugins if you find them and then reinstall Adobe Reader 10.1.3. Once installation is successful please confirm that the plugins are placed at the above mentioned location.

thanks,

hit.anand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running 10.7.3  / safari Version 5.1.5 (7534.55.3)  / acrobat 10.1.3

Same issues can't save pdfs from Safari / can't edit / can't print.

Will delete the two mentioned files but how do I reinstal adobe 10.1.3 ?  ( do not have disks )  - better question why doesn't adobe fix this with an appropriate update - save us the grief of fixing it !

UPDATE - deleted the two mentioned files , closed adobe X and safari , then without installing anything I restarted both - now works fine !  Hope may help some one else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem: Adobe Acrobat Pro X, OS X 10.7.3, Safari 5.1.5 and Firefox 11.0.  I do not have Adobe Reader.

PDFs now cannot be downloaded from Firefox. PDFs cannot be saved or printed from Safari (they can be seen).

Clicking on the "Adobe" symbol in the pop-up toolbar at the bottom of the Safari window when the PDF appears will produce an Adobe toolbar at the top of the window. Clicking on the "disk" symbol will permit the PDF to be downloaded and renamed.

Nothing works in FIrefox; clicking on a link to a PDF in Firefox produces a new page, like FF used to do, but no download occurs and no Adobe toolbar appears at the bottom of the window.

This is a serious flaw and a major waste of time.

I have not yet, but will, delete the plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted both plugins. Now Safari 5.1.5 and Firefox 11.0 both work correctly.

This is a bug that should have been caught before release and never released into the wild.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem – simple fix!

I had the same problem here of no longer being able to > File > Save As > PDF

I discovered by chance that if you simply hoover with the mouse towards the bottom of the PDF window a simple tool bar appears. Select the left-hand 'disk' icon and save this way. It's probably a slightly quicker than the traditional method. I could save the PDF to my desktop without any problem.

Suggest trying this before re-installing Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A SIMPLE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM:

When I came across the same problem today, I found this forum (and a couple of others that I'll post to).  Nothing worked, and then I noticed a little window that opened at the bottom of the document as I was viewing it in Safari.  It includes a printer icon, so I clicked it and tried to find a way to do the usual, clumsy Print--->Save routine.  Didn't work, but I got an error message telling me to "Save" the document.

The window at the bottom of the document also includes the standard floppy disk symbol for saving, so I clicked it and Voila!  After all these years, it's suddenly very easy to save PDFs!  No digging through the Library and full functionality!  Thank you, Adobe.  It's about damn time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know if I understand correctly or if you guys have the same issue I have, but I would appreciate some help.

I can read PDF's without any problem in Safari 6.0.1. My issue is if I want to print directly from Safari and NOT from the small grey overlay appearing "save,print, zoom etc" grey buttons which appear when hovering over lower screen when on a PDF file. If I print from those grey buttons I get this window with little preview showing on the right-hand side above the "print" button:

Screen Shot 2012-10-12 at 07.10.12.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-10-12 at 07.10.23.jpg

Now to my issue: If I want to print from the default print button in Safari, the preview window, as you can see on next screenshot, stays blank and when I print it also prints a blank document!

Screen Shot 2012-10-12 at 07.09.59.jpg

Any idea what I couls do about this? The fact is that my accounting program always automatically pops up the Safari print preview you see above for printing invoices and I always have to cancel the print and click on teh icons at the bottom of the page!

All feedback welcome!!

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines