Skip navigation
NewbieTechWriter
Currently Being Moderated

FM 10 Crashing when applying conditional text tag

Apr 18, 2012 10:15 AM

Tags: #framemaker #crashing #framemaker_10 #conditional_text

Hello everyone.

For some reason, FM keeps crashing when I try to apply a conditional text tag to a table (entire table). The funny thing is I have been doing this same thing for three months now with no problems before today, even have two tables in the same document with different tags applied to them and they are working fine.  But when I try to add this one, I crash. I have rebooted my computer and made sure all my drivers are up to date, but now I'm at a loss.  Any help?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Hi Newbie,

Which version of Framemaker you have?

Sometime what happens is the conditional text tag is corrupted and in that situations we delete and make a new conditional tag with the same formatting,however with a new name and than apply it.

If it still does not work,you can copy the complete document in a new document,keep both the document open,click on file-->import-->formats and copy all the formats from the old document to the new document and then apply the tag.

That should make it work.

Thanks

Harpreet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Newbie,

I dont think you will loose somethig as it only imports all the formats,we can atleast try with only one document and test it if that works.

Also try and update the Framemaker 10,it thats not updated.

Thanks

Harpreet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

have you tried MIF-washing your doc?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Newbie,

If you still have some issue,you can call us on 800-833-6687 and choose framemaker .

Thanks Harpreet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Hi Newbie,

you need not to pay as if now.

Try the number again or just email me at tcssup@adobe.com and  we will get back to you.

Thanks

Harpreet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Save as .MIF, reopen MIF in FM and save again as .fm = MIF wash; to do a whole book, use the built-in MIFbookwash script in FM10

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Change the "Save As type" to one of the MIF formats

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

What sort of crash is happening? Are you getting any specific error codes? If so, have you sent them in to fmerror@adobe.com<mailto:fmerror@adobe.com>? Is it happening on any document or just one particular one?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

possibly - keep the troubled doc open, create a new blank doc and use the File > Import > Formats screen to bring over all formatting from the troubled doc into the new fresh one. Save the new doc and then do a Ctl-A in the old doc to select everything, Ctl-C to copy it and Ctl-V to paste it into the new fresh doc.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

how are you applying the condition? maybe that's what's going wrong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

well that narrows it down - try creating new doc and only bring over 1 thing at a time on the Import > Format list to aid in identifying what's causing it to go off the rails.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

is it only happening when applying the tag to a table? just how are you applying tags - use the camera icon to attach screenshots if you can

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

That could be a bug - we found the similar phenomenum and we sent it to Adobe India.

- GEorg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Hmm, I see - what about doing it with a shortcut key? I keep my conditional pane minimized most of the time. I select the text/objects that I want conditioned, then press CTL-4 (control and four key together) - the status section of the screen (bottom left corner - where you get info about the paragraph and character tags being used) changes to display whatever condition the selection has applied to it. I can then either press the first letter of whatever condition tag I was to apply or click on the dropdown arrow to get a pop-up of the tag list.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Newbie,

I got your email and will get back to you on it,however meanwhile we can try this small step,may be it might work.

Make sure you have the backup of all your books somwhere on the computer.

Open the folder where Framemaker is installed in the Adobe folder in Program Files.

Make sure you close Framemaker before doing this.

There is a file that says "maker.ini",rename that file to "maker_old.ini".

Now launch Framemaker and open the book manually selecting the location its saved in the computer through Framemaker by clicking on the "open" icon.

Apply the tag now and take a look if it still crashes.

Could be a possibilty Framemaker might not lauch after renaming that file,if that happens,kindly rename it back to the original name "maker.ini".

Thanks

Harpreet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 3:58 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

> I am selecting all rows in the table with the mouse and then ...

What happens if you apply the CC to just the table anchor in Flow A.

When you are conditionalizing an entire table, tagging just the anchor is usually easier, and in your case, might be more stable.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

> Selecting the anchor did work.

Glad to hear it.

> I didn't know I could select the anchor (like I said, been teaching myself how to use FM, so some things that seem obvious to others I have yet to think of).

I'm not sure I'd classify it as obvious. I only recently stumbled upon it myself. We use anchor tagging not just for tables, but also for anchored frames generally. This supports relatively painless variant manual editions.

By the way, I rarely put anchors at end-of-para. They can be hard to select, and the anchor sym tends to obscure punctuation (or its omission). So I put them elsewhere, usually right before a plural "s". Caution: anchors break the word for spell-check purposes, unless Adobe fixed this in FM7.2 or later.

> If I did something to cause this, let me know so that I don't do it again!

If others cannot duplicate the crash on FM10, it might be something you're doing. But Frame is not free of anchored object problems. My user ID here reflects a common, if random, crash with right-run-in frames anchored to across-all-columns paras on FM7.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

I just ran into this same problem myself in Frame 10. The document is a legacy installation guide I've been maintaining for 15 years. For some reason, conditionalization applied to a table row has caused Frame to crash whenever I try to do anything with conditionalization in that chapter only. For example, if I select "Show All" to try and reveal this particular row which is currently hidden, it will crash the application. Is this considered to be a known issue at this time? Does anyone know a workaround for it?

These same conditional tags have existed in this document for at least 5 years, so there's nothing new there. The table row itself was just added in this product release though. I took a copy of the chapter file from the release prior to this one, and I can use conditionalization normally there, but as soon as I try to recreate this new table row, and apply the appropriate conditional tag to it (and save it) the behavior returns.

I've tried completely stripping all conditionalization from the chapter, and recreating it...same thing happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Vyradder

If it’s crashing with a new document sample, file a bug report with Adobe. Make sure you’re sending in the error logs to the Adobe engineers too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

Does anyone know if the newly released Frame 11 addresses this? From what I understand, this bug was reported three years ago...

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to DebbyT01

> Does anyone know if the newly released Frame 11 addresses this? From what I understand, this bug was reported three years ago...

Why do you add it to the Favorite Bug Fixed? thread I just started.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to Error7103

Frame 11 is much more stable,then previous versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to NewbieTechWriter

Same thing is happening to me. We just upgraded to FM 10.  I have had this book conditionalized in FM 9 without any issues for a logn time. Now, crashes all over the place. I did have to do a MIF wash but with so many of our sources conditionalized, this is really a pain to keep having this happen over and over again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

Jeff, I'm having a similar problem. I'm using Tech Comm Suite 4 with FrameMaker 11. I have a new HP laptop, and everything was working well until I tried to update a book. I received the message, "Cannot update this book, because it contains no openable or nongenerated files."  All of my files were open in the book, and I have a TOC and APL file.

I tried saving all files to MIF, but when I tried to save back as FM, I got a message, "Filenames ending in .mif cannot be saved in Documetn format."

You mentioned a script for changing Book files to MIF in FM10. I don't see it in FM11. Where would I find it? I looked in File/Script/Run and Catalog.

I also opened a book that I had successfully updated using my old PC. I was able to update the files in that book.

I appreciate any adivce!

Best regards,

Karen Gross

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to grosskj

I just figured out if I type ".fm" at the end of the filename when using SaveAs, the mif can be saved as a FM file. Using the drop-down selection resulted in the error message.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to grosskj

I completed the Mif wash, and I'm still unable to update this book.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to grosskj

Hi Karen,

You're kinda conflating several issues in here - you probably should have started your own thread...

Anyways, the book that's throwing the "un-updateable" message - is it from a prior version of FM? If so, open it and all the files it contains (use the Shift key to access the "All" commands), then save them all and close them all. Now that they've been saved in FM11 format, you can try again to open the book and update it. If you still get the message about no non-generated files, try renaming your ToC and generate a new one. If one is created, you can either import your formatting from the backed up one or delete the new and rename the old to match the new name; then try updating again.

When MIF washing, always pay attention to the "Files of Type" droplist to ensure you're opening or saving as the correct type. FM is lousy at remembering anything in this screen.

The BookMIFWash script has to be installed I think, check the TCS blog for details on that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I had tried the things you suggest. I ended up making a new book and adding the files to that, and I was able to update the book.

I appreciate your help!

Karen

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points