Skip navigation
Lotek-notek
Currently Being Moderated

How do I best compress a multi file project in Encore CS5 to fit a standard DVD?

Apr 18, 2012 11:10 AM

Tags: #encore #transcoding #timeline #encore_cs5

Hello,

I have created a series of small films in Final Cut Pro X, they have been exported as seperate audio and video tracks, ac3 audio and mpeg video from the presets in FCPX.

I want to use Encore CS5 to create DVDs out of them and I have used it before but only know the basics. The problem is that after I import all the media files, that I want on the first DVD, as assets and put them on the timeline it adds up to 7.23 GB, even though the time is just under 2 hours. I know that that might be pushing it a little bit in regards to the amount of time that I can fit on a regular 4.7 GB DVD, but it should't take up that much space. I removed a bunch of files from the timeline to see what I could fit and only got just under 1 hour. I can see that it is possible to decrease the file sizes, for instance by going to 'file'-'edit quality presets' and doing stuff there, but 'm not sure of the best way to do that.

In other posts I have seen mentions of encore compressing files to fit automatically, but what i want is a way to fit all the video files, not the audio i guess, to a dvd with minimum quality loss. does anyone know the best way to do this?

the only thing i can think off is either to use more DVDs than I feel that I should have to, or to burn a 7.23 GB image and then shrink that using soomething like DVD shrink, but that seems unecessary.

So I have a feeling that there is a smart way to do this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks. Nik

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Lotek-notek

You exported from FCPX with too high a datarate. The "automatic" setting in Encore is not really to recompress (yes, you can, but with a quality loss), but to take an uncompressed file and fit it to the disk.

Either go back to FCPX and calculate the correct compression, or bring an uncompressed/minimally compressed file into Encore. I'm not sure what the common type would be for Mac.

You may simply have too much material for the disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to Lotek-notek

>ac3 audio and mpeg video from the presets in FCPX

As Stan said, the Encore automatic setting is not really designed to work with already compressed files... you have files that have been compressed once, and now you are compressing again

If you need to do this again, export out of your editing software as whatever MOV format is used for SD material, and then let Encore work with that file

Over in the Windows world, I export AVCHD to Widescreen DV AVI and give the AVI to Encore for automatic transcoding... works very well for me

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Lotek-notek

I will burn the dvd as I want it with that and see if the quality loss is acceptable.

That is a good test, and will give you an idea what this workflow will produce. John has given you an option for improving the quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to Lotek-notek

I really do not know why I got such big files when compressing my material the first time. Do you recommend compressing into .mov without seperate audio file?

If you are used to doing one hour programs and used similar quality/datarate settings for this program that is just under 2 hours, the files are not that big; your program is just longer.

If your video is 110 minutes, a bitrate calculator would indicate a target bitrate of about 5.1 to 5.2. Given your filesize, you may have maxed the DVD rate (or used a bluray rate?).

The larger file size may make your re-compressed option better quality than most recompression scenarios..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Lotek-notek

You are on a Mac, I am on Windows... I can only describe what works for ME, on Windows (link in my last message)

I will GUESS that you need to export to "something" in a MOV format that is the same as DV AVI under Windows

An SD (Standard Definition) file that you may then import into Encore for automatic encoding

I have no idea how you would do that with FCPX... only that double compressing files is not a good work flow

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to Lotek-notek

>the .mov file i get using a simple movie export is massive

Again... this is based on Windows... a DV AVI file is about 13Gig per hour of video

That 13Gig for one hour will "easily" be compressed to fit on a 4.7Gig DVD by using the automatic setting in Encore

Depending on the amount of movement in the video, you MAY be able to get as much as two hours on a single layer DVD with "OK" quality

Fast movement (a soccer game) will require a higher bit rate, and more space, than a video of a "talking head" doing a presentation in front of a group

Set your Encore parameters to use 2-pass VBR if you need to squeeze the last possible bit out of the transcoding process

>the problem is that the footage i am working with is pretty poor quality to start with. I am working with a bunch of Super 8 family films that have been scanned on to DVDs

Oh... if your original film was put on DVD in a compressed format, not DV AVI, you really have no choice in what you do

If it was me... knowing that DV AVI at 13Gig per hour is a better edit source than any compressed format... I would take a USB hard drive to the company that did the conversion and have them "read" the S8 tapes into a better format, on to the USB hard drive

If that is not an option, you may need to put less video on each DVD so you are not double compressing

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to John T Smith

If getting better quality dupes of the film is not possible, I would go back to the DVD of them and try editing the vobs in Premiere - since it allows that now. Just a short clip with motion; you don't really need to edit. Export as MPEG2-DVD with a CBR of 8. Bring into Encore and see what it looks like. That is probably the best you are going to see. Then decide how to proceed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Lotek-notek

ok, one more thing. in compressor I can decrease the average bitrate to 3.6 mbps and hopefully get the right size on my files to fit just under 2 hours onto a regular DVD.

My calculation was that you shoujld be able to get it up around 5 and hvae it fit. (See below for calculator info.) Your best option may be to export a file that fits.

I can maybe just use the SD Video Sharing presettings I showed above. with that a 32 minute clip ended up at about 1 GB which seems right.

The SD sharing option was to bring a very high datarate version into Encore that Encore can transcode. The datarate for that was actually low? What does that look like if you play it?

Some bitrate calculators:

http://home.comcast.net/~c.linke/bitbudget/

http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php

http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Lotek-notek

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This