Skip navigation
eckreauter
Currently Being Moderated

Help! All of my photos are "missing".

Apr 18, 2012 12:56 PM

I currently have Lightroom 3. I was working on my blog earlier, and all of my photos were there. Once I finished w/ my blog, I got back into lightroom. One by one, the little question mark appeared in each photo of my film strip. I checked each of the folders I had and they all did the same thing. When I try to recover the photos, they can't be found. Most of the files in Lightroom were digital negatives. Once I exported them to my hard drive, I changed them to jpeg. Since the files don't match, is there any way to recover the original digital negaitives in Lightroom? I am also missing some jpeg files in Lightroom and all of my presets/templates!

I do have my whole computer backed up on an external hard drive. I'm just not sure how to recover the photos.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to eckreauter

eckreauter wrote:

I currently have Lightroom 3. I was working on my blog earlier, and all of my photos were there. Once I finished w/ my blog, I got back into lightroom. One by one, the little question mark appeared in each photo of my film strip. I checked each of the folders I had and they all did the same thing. When I try to recover the photos, they can't be found.

How did you do the search that resulted in "can't be found"?

Did you at any time move the photos or folders (or rename them) outside of Lightroom? Did your drive with the photos change letters/change name?

Most of the files in Lightroom were digital negatives. Once I exported them to my hard drive, I changed them to jpeg.

I have no idea what you mean by this. It sounds like you are saying you changed your digital negatives to JPG, but that can't be right. What did you change to jpg? How did you do this? Please explain further

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 4:07 AM   in reply to eckreauter

To tell you the truth, I still don't have a good idea from your description exactly what happened and what the solution was. You make it sound like the problem was you created a DNG and then exported as JPG and then you changed the version of LR and then you renamed things, and then LR had problems. If I were going to guess, the problem was really the renaming and none of that other stuff. If that's the case, you could greatly simplify this entire task and it sounds like the reply you got from Adobe is a bad reply, there are easier ways to fix this (but that's still a guess since I don't really understand the whole thing)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points