Skip navigation
spiffenhofer
Currently Being Moderated

Error Installing CS5 updates

Apr 18, 2012 1:42 PM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #updates #imac #update_failure

I'm trying to update my newly purchased and installed PhotoShop CS 5.5 on my iMac (less than a year old) using the "Updates" link in Help.  I get an error that says, "Update Failed.  Updates could not be applied.  Unable to write at location "Users/[my computer name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe"  Please provide write permissions to this location and try again."

Any ideas how to solve this?  I can't tell if it is a PhotoShop issue or a write permission issue on my iMac.

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 18, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to spiffenhofer

Do you know which update failed?  I am a Windows user, but thge updater tries to install Adobe Camera RAW when it has already been installed, which results in that message.  From Photoshop go Help > About plugins to see what version you have, or Help > About Photoshop  for its version.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 18, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to spiffenhofer

OK, so use the Help > About in Photoshop, and Bridge, and see if you are actually up to date.   Just post what your version numbers are.

(I can't check here as I am on a laptop coz my main system popped its clogs last night - the PSU went bang)

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 18, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to spiffenhofer

Where are you installing it from?  A DVD, or hard drive folder?  If a download, have you unzipped it to its own folder?

BTW  Photoshop CS5 only goes up to 5.1   It's the Suites that go to 5.5

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points