Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

png image wont convert to cmyk

Apr 18, 2012 4:20 PM

hello forum.

i got an icon from the internet which is png,i open it in ps and its in rgb colour mode ofcourse.but i change the colour mode to cmyk and save it

when i imported into indesign,in the link info,it says its rgb again!why isnt it appearing in the colour space as  cmyk?

thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to inquestflash

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to inquestflash

As Silkrooster already pointed out, it's inherent in the file format. Use soemthing else like TIFF, JPEG or a native PSD.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:43 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

The link doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to Lundberg02

Hmm, clicking the link in firefox, doesn't seam to be working, but right clicking and open in new tab does. Go figure.

Anyway, the point of the article is png is an RGB only format and you will need to use another format that does support CMYK, which Mylenium was kind enough to add.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Why are you bothering with conversion to CMYK in Photoshop?

You can still place that RGB PNG file in InDesign. When you export a press-ready PDF file from InDesign (ie: PDF/X-1a), it will turn all graphics to CMYK.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to inquestflash

inquestflash wrote:

hello forum.

i got an icon from the internet which is png,i open it in ps and its in rgb colour mode ofcourse.but i change the colour mode to cmyk and save it

when i imported into indesign,in the link info,it says its rgb again!why ...

This is impossible if you have just used "Save". Apparently you have used Save for Web and Devices - I just checked it and realized that Adobe has made an interface mistake by letting the PNG choice available after unchecking "Convert to RGB"

Anyway, after converting to CMYK mode, just use File > Save, and Photoshop will not let you save it but will ask you to "Save As" where you can choose from all available file formats that can save  CMYK images.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points