Skip navigation
ryanpennone
Currently Being Moderated

trouble hiding and showing captions with a single button

Apr 18, 2012 4:32 PM

I am trying to show a caption (MSO) with the click of a button and then hide it again with the same button. I have created a MSO with two states one with the text, one without and then created an icon with a plus sign [normal] that triggers the second state that has the text. After the button is pressed it changes to a minus sign [click] the next step is where I am running into trouble. I just want the user to be able to click the minus button to hide the caption before moving on to the next page or article. I have tried every button state combination but can't hide the caption short of creating a new button somewhere else on the page, this is not desired. I have seen this function in publications like National Geographic, and Vogue so I know it is possible. It seems so simple but I can't figure it out. Being able to close the caption after showing it will add another level of interaction and professionalism to my publication...please help someone.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to ryanpennone

hi, one way to do this is to have an invisible button on top of a multistate object that advances it to the next state (or whatever state you name it). You'll notice in National Geographic that you don't ahve to click exactly on the button to get the text to pop up.

So state one would be the plus sign, state 2 would be your caption text and your minus sign. The invisible button would encompass the button area, or a larger area.  make sense?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to ryanpennone

Thanks from me as well, as I was trying to replicate exactly that NG's behaviour. Neat trick!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 3:06 AM   in reply to daevaux

Please could you somehow explain more for me? I have a button that when pressed makes an MSO appear, I just want to be able to make this MSO disappear when another button on th MSO is pressed. PLease help this is driving me crazy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Bozzer1515

Being inmersed in this thing, I am gathering some instructions and notes about very basic DPS things for our working team use and my Spanish speakers readers. Here you have the first one: Cómo hacer que un pie de foto se muestre al pulsar encima de la imagen en InDesign para DPS

They are based in Bob Bringhusrt's DPS tips —thanks a lot!—, what I have read in this forum and the Adobe's help data.

There's a translate button that works quite fine.

Is that of any help? Hope so

Gustavo (Posting from heat-melting Madrid)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points