Skip navigation
pbfp
Currently Being Moderated

Why don't my Lightroom 4 DNG files show up correctly in Picasa 3.9?

Apr 18, 2012 7:14 PM

Although I have really learned to love Lightroom I still like the elegant, quick and simple Picasa for certain tasks -- uploading photos to my Google web albums, setting screensaver and desktop photos, etc.  But I think that Lightroom 4 made some changes to the dng format which means that when Picasa imports the files into its database the dng files (not the accompanying jpg) come in squished and banded.  Does anyone else find this problem?  Is it something that Lightroom can fix or can they communicate with Picasa to solve it?

I know that given Lightroom's power and fantastic ability to "develope" photos, it might seem unnecessary to use Picasa and I do admit that I don't use Picasa frequently, but still it does have its uses and I would like to see the two programs play nice together.  I am using Windows 64 bit, Lightroom 4 and Picasa 3.9 and phy camera is a Nikon D3100.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to pbfp

It may be that Picasa doesn't support the latest DNG format supported by ACR 6.7, check on the Picasa Forums.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 8:01 PM   in reply to pbfp

When you convert a raw file to DNG there are some options such as adding fast load data (prolly want to turn that off for compatibility reasons) as well as Lossy Compression (you don't say whether or not you have selected that option). For Picasa to be able to access your DNGs, the odds are you'll have to make sure you select an older DNG spec such as 1.3 instead of the current DNG 1.4 spec used in LR4. Other than that, you may need to wait till Picasa updates their software to deal with the new DNG spec.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points