Skip navigation
inquestflash
Currently Being Moderated

conditional text export to post script and distilled

Apr 18, 2012 9:31 PM

hello indesigners.

i have a bit of a task asked to be done!i have never came across and issue like this one,so id like your help please.

i have been asked to make a brochure with 3 different languages,so i set up conditional text and made up 3 conditions in the contitions panel

each language has a spot colour applied to it,in order to be separated when posted scripted and distilled.but when the post script is distilled

i can olny see one language.is there a way all languages can appear on a colour seperation with out one language overlapping the other

u2a.jpg

u2a2.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to inquestflash

How have you applied the Pantone color on the conditional text , as if I know there are defined color set and you can create the custom color but how to apply the pantone color?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Have you tried a direct export to PDF using File>Export>PDF (print)

?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to inquestflash

I don't think you've approached this correctly. First, I don't use conditional text on a regular basis, but my understanding is the color you assign to the condition has nothing to do with the color assigned to the text. It's just a reference color, like a layer color, to make it easy for you to keep things sorted when you look at the page. To separate the text onto individual plates you'll need to assign a spot color to the text itself under Character Color in the style definition (and you'll need a set of styles for each language).

Second, I think you are trying to output all the different plates in one go. Unless you have overlapping frames, your conditional text is not going to overlap one language with another. The normal usage for conditional text is to put it into the same running text and show or hide, causing the text to reflow. In order for all the languages to separate at once, they all need to be visible at the same time, and if they are all in the same frame they can't overlap. If you need overlapping frames, it might be easier to use layers. A further complicatioin is that if all if the text is overlapping, all of it needs to be set to overprint, not just the Black plate that overprints by default.

Ultimately this probably comes down to you need to output once for each language. You can hide your conditions for the languages not needed and output just the set of text plates for each language one at a time, or personally, I'd probably forget the conditional text and probably the spot colors, and either make separate files for each language (which I think is what Joel would recommend and he's the translation expert) or use layers and show or hide the language layers as needed.  I've seen files where the text was set in a spot black so it wasn't on the same plates as the graphical elements, but the value of this would depend, I think, on the printing workflow and only be of use if the text was not being laid down at the same time as the color, and again, you 'd have to set the spot color text to overprint.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Have you tried a direct export to PDF using File>Export>PDF (print)

?

In this case it appears that he's trying to make the separations himself (at least that's the way I nterpreted it) directly from ID, and you can't do that when you export.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:25 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

@ Peter ..I sill have the question how one can select spot color while creating the condition for the conditional text?

As if I know we have to define the custom color which would not be a spot color , hence seperation want work in this case.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Manish,

If I understand your question, you can't assign a spot color to the text by adding a condition, you have to do that as a separate task -- text color and condition are not related. However, if the conditions will be mutually exclusive and not all visible at the time of output, there is no requirement that each language have a unique color because you are manually separating them onto different plates by hiding the ones you don't want.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Looks like you are using Windows, so you can shortcut by Printing to PDF (it automatically prints to postscript and invokes distiller so you don't need to do it manually).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

@ Peter

Exactly...I tried to replicate the issue but was not able to apply the spot color on the text and even was not able to select the spot color for teh condition , but the OP said that the spot color is used in the condition and based on that the seperation is done.....at that time I got confused as I believe we can only choosed RGB color for Conditions not the spot color of our wish and specially Pantone.

As you said it is for the representation purpose only like in layer color,  I had the same understanding  but I thought better get my fact clear before posting anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:54 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

I think I may be responsible for some confusion here. Looks like I misread the original message a little. It doesn't say he applied the spot color as part of the condition or applied the spot color to the condition (that's waht happens when I start reading complicated posts as soon as I wake up), and if you look closer than I did at the screen shots you'll see the condition colors don't match the spot colors assigned to the languages.

My apologies for that.

Doesn't change the strategy, however.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 1:29 AM   in reply to inquestflash

this is something which would happen....because when you are creating the Postcript that means you will be creating the file for print and while printing the color overlapping doesn't happen..

create 3 different layer , and DRAG the "spanish" and "english" in the layer to the new layer you will create.

When making the PDF or postscript , show the layers for the language which you want and hide the other, and then create PDF or postscript.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original response. To do the layer method you must TURN OFF ALL BUT ONE LANGUAGE (hide the layers) and make separate PDFs of the language plates,

OR you must set EVERY language frame to overprint to get separations where the languages higher in the stack have not knocked out the text on lower layers (or knocked out any background they might overlap).

I think it's easier to leave all langiuages set in [Black], which should overprint by default, and hide layers.

No matter what method you choose, if all language layers are visible at the same time it will be difficult to work, and a composite PDF will be a mess.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 2:45 AM   in reply to inquestflash

In general, it is the responsibility of the pre-press department at the printer to make separations and impose the file for printing. It is the designer's responsibility, however, to provide a document that will separate correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:35 AM   in reply to inquestflash

When you make separations you are creating a grayscale image of what will print in each ink color. This represents either exposed or unexposed areas on the plates. The darker the gray, the darker the color.

For a good understanding of what you are seeing, go to Window > Output > Separations Preview... and turn ON the separatations preview, then turn off the visibility of all but one plate at a time.

Have you talked to the printer to determine that they really want you to be making separations? That would be a very unusual request.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to inquestflash

I guess I would have to say it's a valuable lesson to learn about how separations work. I used to take the film and plates for a four-color job into my classroom, along with the finished print, but the probabilty that you will need to actually make your own separations (using the separtions preview is very common, though), or need to print to postscript and distill, are both pretty slim in this century unless you work in pre-press.

I used to have to make seps from my Windows files for the printer who only had Macs, but I haven't done that in more than ten years, and not at all since printers started accepting PDF.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points