Skip navigation
mckennadaniels
Currently Being Moderated

How can I get my indesign faster for a bit. Can I allocate more RAM temporarily?

Apr 18, 2012 10:11 PM

How can I get my indesign faster for a bit. Can I allocate more RAM temporarily?

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 18, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to mckennadaniels

Not really. InDesign will use as much RAM as your system will give it, up to 4GB, the maximum for a 32-bit application.

Why is it slow?

What are you doing?

If you have less than 6GB of RAM, buy some more RAM.

Faster hard drive (SSD)?

Etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to mckennadaniels

Katie,

Please delete your personal info when replying by email. All responses are posted on the web.

In your prefs, under interface, try setting Live Screen Drawing to Delayed or Never.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 19, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to mckennadaniels

I should also have said...if you have 4GB of RAM, try exiting all other applications first. Also check in Activity Monitor, how much memory is InDesign using? It's not normally RAM-intensive, it may not need much. And while it's slow, what are the Page ins/Page outs rates (in parens, under the System Memory tab).

I know there is a problem because I get crashes sometimes when click - and-dragging. Pretty new fast computer should handle it. I will get more RAM though.

Well, that's certainly an indicator. Please upload a crash report to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here.

You should be able to find old crash reports in Console.app under User Diagnostic Reports.

Do you make use of indexes or cross-references?

Book files (INDB)?

Turn off Live Preflight?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to mckennadaniels

So all the grunge art is embedded? If so, linking might be a better option.

Is it also vector grunge? If so, there are likely a ton of nodes in the art. Each movement will cause a lot of slow-down as ID tried to redraw it. Can you not only link, but make these grunge art pieces PSD image files once you have their final placement and sizing figured out?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 19, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to mckennadaniels

This crash is not entirely unfamiliar.

The crash several frames under CShape::ProcessDrawShape() reminds me of a problem I had that was related to a placed document inside another document, and then preflight or screen redraw or master page overrides.

Do you have another InDesign documented connected to this one, either placed inside it (and thus appearing in the Links panel), or connected through cross-references or through a book?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 20, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to mckennadaniels
    I had "grunge" art with multiple points on a master page

I'm sorry, this is meaningless to me.

Does this mean YES, it was another InDesign file placed inside your document, or NO, it was not?

What is "grunge art"? Is it Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, COREL Draw!, or what?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Grunge is a technique of making the artwork look dirty or worn, kind of like a rubber stamp on a paper surface where the ink doesn't cover completely.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 20, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Larry:

Grunge is a technique of making the artwork look dirty or worn, kind of like a rubber stamp on a paper surface where the ink doesn't cover completely.

Yes, but this doesn't say anything about the file format or representation inside InDesign, which is what really matters for determining its effect on these things.

What I had was vector art with tons of points copy/pasted from AI so I could edit it while in INDD but that I think was too much redrawing, so I took the art back into AI, and imported it instead.

Yes, InDesign is not optimized for complex vector graphics directly in ID. Linking is a much superior workflow.

But it still crashed, so that's not the real solution. What're the steps that lead to the crash now? Do you have Live Preflight enabled?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points