Skip navigation
jair47
Currently Being Moderated

Bug: Save for Web using custom name recorded as Action is broken

Apr 7, 2012 1:12 PM

Tags: #bug #bug_report #cs6-beta

Open an image, then start recording an action (doesn't matter if it's a new action or adding to a previous one). Go to File->Save For Web. It appears to not matter options you pick here, but I've tried JPG, PNG-8, and PNG-24. When you hit save, it asks you what to name the file. Name the file anything other than the name of the document itself, so call it test.jpg. The file is saved as test.jpg this time. Stop recording the action, and hit the expand button on that Export list item you just created. It will say on the 4th line Custom File Name: "test.html". When you run the action again (not when recording it), it will save the jpg image as test.html. The same is true if was a PNG before.

So, the bug is that new actions ignores whatever extension you use when using a custom name in a Save For Web.

My work around for this bug is if you record the action in Photoshop CS5, save the actions to a file (has to be done at the folder level), then import them into CS6, they'll run fine. The problem is at the recording of the action.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

This is bug find #2 for me. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to jair47

Ditto here. I am having file.jpg always saving as file.html, even though it's a normal JPG file and changing the filename back will make it work. I can do this through scripting so it isn't a deal breaker for me yet.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to jair47

I'm having the same issue.

I have noticed that it is technically saving the file properly, just naming it with the .html extension. If you rename the file and replace the ".html" with the proper suffix (".jpg" or ".png"), everything is fine.

This is not to say that Adobe shouldn't bother fixing this, as actions were implemented for the sake of convenience, and this work-around is anything but convenient.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points