With the recent upgrade to Adobe Reader X, I have been experiencing problems printing .pdf docuements. The conditions are as follows. I am running Windows XP Medai Center Edition on my PC. If I open a document in Adobe Reader X and print to either of my network printers, an HP Laser Jet 1320 (black and white) or HP Photosmart C7280 (color), the doucuent prints just fine. However, if I right click on the document in Windows Explorer and select "Print", the doucment prints fine on the Laser Jet 1320, but on the Photosmart C7280 the text is garbled. The same thing happens if I try to print a .pdf file from our iPad's. This latter operation simply invokes a print server on my Windows XP system, which presumably invokes the same print mechanism as the right click on the document in Windows Explorer. E.g. the print method for file type .pdf is invoked.
Now here is the weird thing. In trying to get to the bottom of this, I tried invoking AcroRd32.exe from the command line with the /t option and a .pdf file name as argument. What I first got was a dialog box telling me "protected mode" was not available and was offered several options. I elected to disable protected mode which is all I could do. Surprisingly, the docuemnt now prints correctly on the Photosmart! It still consistently prints incorrectly if I right click on the document in Windows Explorer.
The other strange thing is that if I look at the methods associated with file type .pdf in Windows Explorer, the only method present there is "Open" This may be OK, but it is distinctly different from what you find for .doc or .xls document types.
What ever the root cause, I finally uninstalled Adobe Reader X and installed Reader 9.5, which seems to be working just fine. And BTW, Reader 9 seems to have installed a "print" method for file type .pdf.
In my mind there is something clearly wrong with 10.1.3.
Hope this helps.
Europe, Middle East and Africa