Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Graphics Card spec

Apr 18, 2012 5:00 AM

I am running Photoshop CS5 Extended and I am currently trying the Beta of CS6. I am currently using my onboard graphics card and whilst on the whole have been happy I realise that I am not using the system to the fullest. I am using a PC with a PCI-e slot. What sort of (low budget I am afraid) graphics card should I be looking for. Any suggestions (IE minimum ram etc - or even a product recommendation).

Cheers

John Picton

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 18, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to John_Picton

I'm personally most fond of ATI as I believe they do a better job with releasing high quality drivers, but others like nVidia.  Personal experience figures a lot into recommendations.

Right now I'd specifically recommend the VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR5, as it doesn't draw too much power and won't tax your computer's power supply, yet delivers quite fast performance.

In general for Photoshop use I'd recommend getting a video card that has 1 GB of RAM or more and scores 1000 or higher on the PassMark benchmark:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to John_Picton

Can I use CS5 on al Macbook Air (new one) with a i5 and Ati card?

Do I have to upgrade my memory?

Regards,
    Ashvin Ghisyawan

www.totaalfotografie.nl

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,932 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 19, 2012 3:16 AM   in reply to Ashvin Ghisyawan

John, can you tell us a bit about the rest of your system?   You should probably be looking to create a balanced system where components more or less match each other.  You should also think about your operating system.    Windows 7 64bit with at least 6Gb RAM is a good start, and as Noel said, 1Gb of DDR5 in your graphics card.  

But tell us about the rest of your system first.

BTW  I live about 30 kilometrea away from a town called Picton.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to John_Picton

I'm looking at the PNY Quadro2000 nVIDEA it is recommended for the GPU acceleration function of photoshop……….I was lead to believe only nVIDEA supports this.

I am not sure if a pro or workstation card is better than a gaming card.  Leadtek also produce a version of this card Quadro2000 nVIDEA……. No idea what differance between the PNy and the Leadtek is as they are both nVIDEA?

It is a 1GB card also.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to Dsel

Dsel wrote:

I'm looking at the PNY Quadro2000 nVIDEA it is recommended for the GPU acceleration function of photoshop……….

PS CS6 uses Mecury Graphics Engine but not CUDA which I think you are refering to.

CUDA is used in some features with video in Premier Pro.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points