Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

OS X Lion-specific features (Versions, Auto-Save, Fullscreen)

Mar 22, 2012 7:49 AM

Tags: #mac #osx #versions #fullscreen #cs6 #beta #autosave #feature_requests #adobe_photoshop_cs6

Why have these not been implemented? Okay, there is Adobe's own version of Auto-Save, and fullscreen is there too (but not in Apple's way where you can use the app as a space).

Versions is the most wanted feature. Is it possible for Adobe to integrate these OS X specific features in the new Photoshop?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to VorteXLP

I have to say, I'm all for having more options, but if those Lion features were implented, and could not be turned off in PS, my workflow would be ruined ....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to VorteXLP

Photoshop has had full screen support for over 20 years.

Photoshop has much more robust auto-save.

Versions is designed for simple, small file formats, not something like PSD.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to VorteXLP

Well, yeah, Spaces is still pretty buggy.  But we'll have to wait for Apple to fix that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to VorteXLP

I thought I'd take a moment to outline OS X's fullscreen mode in relation to Photoshop's Full Screen Modes and explain why we stuck with our Full Screen Mode in the near term:

Here's the short story:

If we replace Photoshop's Full Screen mode with the native 10.7 full screen mode, then our users will loose the following functionality:

• The ability to use multiple displays while in fullscreen mode
    • The ability to switch between different document windows while in fullscreen mode

This in not something our long time users have said they want to give up.

That said, we're pretty excited about full screen mode in Lion like you guys are, and it's possible that Apple may change the full screen mode in OS X in the future to include this functionality in the future – and we'll continue to evaluate if it meets all our users needs.

Here's the longer story with more details:

Photoshop's full screen model is a per display mode. This means that in multi-displays configurations, some displays may be in Full Screen Mode while others are not. Photoshop's full screen display can can also contain one or more document windows. When a display is in Full Screen Mode, then all document-windows on that display will be full screen when they are brought forward. Photoshop's model has two full screen modes: Full Screen with UI (including the OSX menu bar) and Full Screen without UI (in this mode the OSX menu bar is hidden).

The native full screen implementation in OS X 10.7 is a single display mode. When you enter fullscreen mode on a given display, then all other displays become dark (and windows are hidden on dark displays). Dark displays can contain UI for the active application (but not documents).

When you enter the OSX fullscreen mode, then a new (temporary) Space is created for the fullscreen window. Only a single document window lives in this new Space. This means that you cannot switch between different document windows while in fullscreen mode (command-tilde does nothing).

Here's the definitive/first post on Full Screen mode: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4282217#4282217

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

I absolutly support Adobe's choice on this. I think they've done an excellent job.

I was very worried that Apple's autosave would have come to over to photoshop, which would have been a disaster with the old save system and large (multi-gig) files.

As it is you've done a great job of having it happen in the background without affecting the ability to keep working, that's quite the accomplishment! Kudos.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 1:24 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris, I haven't noticed Spaces and Mission Control to be buggy at all. I really like them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 1:41 AM   in reply to VorteXLP

Well, I have to fully support all of Vorte's suggestions. Adobe seems constantly adverse to making their Mac version of the software different then the Windows version. I wish they would change their tune.

I guess there are users still using multiple monitors; I would guess, that with many users working our of their homes these days, that Apple's huge 27" iMac more than fits the bill for a vast number of professional Photoshop users.

I don't see why there cannot be two versions of "Full-Screen Mode" in Photoshop: Apple's implementation in the upper right corner, and Adobe's Full-Screen version in the lower left.

I also with that, if we are stuck with Full-Screen mode, when I put the curser at the top of the screen, pause, and push up again, that the menu bar would come down, as is standard in Apple's full-screen mode.

I also wish that the percentage showed up in the lower left corner when in partial-full-screen mode; I am constantly typing "f" over and over to find the magnification setting and then switching back to semi or even full-screen mode.

I also wish when hovering with the type tool over a word and typing Command-Control-D, that Apple's standard dictionary pop-up would appear. I wish there were true for Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, as I am constantly needing to check to see if I am using the right word (yes, some visual designers actually read and write copy).

Is there more? Yes. System-wide spell check; actually, the check spelling as you type feature.

In short, I wish Photoshop acted like a Mac program when run on a Mac.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)