Good afternoon all.
I'm running a GW-M285, with 4gb ram, a 500gb hdd, and Win7Ult.
It's the Intel T5500, 1.67ghz processor.
I have been noticing lately when working with pdf files that the new Acrobat X reader seizes, and stops responding. In checking the system resources I see nothing that would denote the system being overloaded.
Has anyone else had this kind of issue before?
I see the same issue on Windows XP SP 3 with Internet Explorer 8. The status bar shows only a small portion of the file is downloading and the numbers never change until it says "done". Then if I scroll through the document, eventually it freezes and the browser tab that's allocated to Reader won't display at all. Then I see the message "There was an error processing a page. A file I/O error has occurred." This message comes from Acrobat Reader, not IE.
I've had this trouble on several Acrobat versions. Adobe needs to get on the stick and fix this issue, as Foxit Reader doesn't have it.
Here is a sample link that shows the problem:
This is not quite my issue.
So far this is the only version I've experienced this on, and it's never happened in xpsp3 for me (which I use at the office still, to this day).
In fact, I had thought this was purely a windows7/acrobatX issue.
What occurs with me is that I'm in only Acrobat reader, reading files that I'd previously downloaded/saved, and attempt to scroll using the hand tool, and the hand not only does not "close" to a fist, showing it's grabbed the page and is ready to scroll, it will not let me pull the page down. It just doesn't do anything I need. If I then try again, the "not-responding" error shows up in the header-bar of the program window.
Normally, at least in my experience, not responding means I don't have enough ram, or my system is overloaded, and needs to release a few processes so it can continue.... I checked those, and nothing.
As stated- I have 4gb of ram, a 1.67ghz processor, and plenty of storage, to act as a buffer if needed (which the ram normally does, as I understand it).
So, thank you though. I hope yours gets resolved too.
April 17, 2012.... this is still not resolved.
I'd posted on another forum--- MS-Answers-- and they said to uninstall the existing progam, download a fresh one, and install the new download.
I've done this and it still does not solve my issue.
I realize this is a free program, and we should just be grateful they offer the reader for free, but this is really frustrating.
I'll be pulling pages down/up, and without warning the window just seizes. Or, the scroll operation will simply not work. I then get a program not responding warning.
Does everyone's silence on this mean that you truly do not care, and have no intention of resolving this?
I am flabberghasted that no one else has had this issue. Or, at least is not talking about it.
I've been using Reader since I first learned about it way back in version 2 or 3. I never had this problem before. And my systems were a lot older, and more basic than this model I'm using now.
It doesn't even happen on my old Mac OSX10.4.11, G-4.
Come on...... This is really frustrating, and no matter what I have done so far-- nothing is working.
I suppose one question that comes to mind is this new- document preparation utility that appears upon opening a document-- each and every single time a document is opened. Regardless of how many times the same document is opened.
Is it plausible that this is what's causing it?
Could you post a link to a file that freezes reliably? I know with the file example I provided, though not the same problem as yours, that I am able to replicate the freeze across multiple computers. It could still be a server issue in this situation, but I see the problem on so many files all over the web that I suspect Acrobat and/or other software such as a firewall.
What version Adobe reader are you using?
Also the problem appears to be related to accessing the PDF over Internet.
Can you try accessing the following link:
I'm on Reader 8.1.4, so we should take this discussion to another thread. I thought I'd get prompted to upgrade to later versions but that didn't happen. First, I'll try going to the X version and see if that changes the behavior. When I tried your link, there was no problem loading it in 8.1.4, it came up quickly. I do believe this issue is Internet related as I've not seen the application freeze when loading from my computer's disk.
These are all files that I've saved to my hard drive-- been on it since 2010.
It really doesn't matter which file-- they all do it at one point or another.
Although, I suppose the larger files do it more readily. I do have files that range from 3 pages to upwards of 500-600 pages. The ones that it's doing it most frequently on now are the ones that are from 6 pages to 30 pages.
And the only thing I'm seeing is the screen turns a whitish-- I suppose this is the way Win7 is nowadays.
Then, the acrobat reader window shows- program not responding on the header bar up top. Those are the only two things I can visually observe when it happens.
Please disable your antivirus temporarily and then try to open the following PDF:
We have had a similar problem. What worked for me so far is regedit>HKEYCU>Software>Adobe> then rename (or delete) the Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat entries. It appears if you have older versions installed like 8 or 9 there is some conflict with the older versions recorded in the registry.
So far so good, hope you get it sorted out.
Europe, Middle East and Africa