Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Full Screen Mode with Window Tabs? (Mac)

Apr 18, 2012 3:53 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #adobe #mac #cs5.5 #windows #mac_os_x #cs6 #tabs #cs6-beta #window_tabs

I have never been able to use Full Screen Mode / Full Screen Mode with Menu Bar because my Window Tabs disappear.

Until now I have ignored this but I really want to start making the most of my screen space. I don't understand how people can go into full screen mode without tabs of their open documents. It makes the experience completely useless to me and I can't believe I can't find any solutions online. I feel like I am overlooking a simple button somewhere on the screen thinking "surely Adobe would include this!?"

Please help.

I am currently on 13 inch MacBook Pro using CS6 beta.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to RichardOverton

Although the tabs disappear in full screen mode, the window cycling shortcuts still work. The Mac version also supports the OS X Command-` shortcut. This can be a useful workaround unless you have a lot of documents open.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to RichardOverton

how does everyone else cope? 

As a career-long Mac-user I am not accustomed to tabs and therefore don’t need or use them.

are optional in full screen, why not tabs?

Because then it would not be full screen?

I suppose one might be able to create a Panel to select one of the open documents, otherwise you could place a feature request over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to RichardOverton

RichardOverton wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I already know of this 'workaround', and it isn't a solution for me. There is no functionality in cycling through windows with no idea when you will arrive at the correct PSD. I usually have quite a few open at the same time and I am constantly skipping between them nice and simply with the tabs...Please Adobe just add an option for tabs, all the other components of the layout are optional in full screen, why not tabs?

Putting in a feature request for tabs in full screen mode is a good idea. One thing Photoshop could do in full screen mode is reveal the menu bar and tabs when the mouse is near the top of the screen. This is sort of an ad-hoc standard in tabbed apps like Chrome and Firefox. Even Adobe Photoshop Lightroom reveals the menu bar in this way, but Photoshop continues to use the same full screen behavior that it had back in the 1990s, when it was one of the few full-screen apps available.

One workaround is to turn off Window > Application Frame, and when you're in full screen mode use Lion's Mission Control to pick a specific window. This works even better if you use or assign a shortcut to view the windows of a single application.

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

how does everyone else cope?

As a career-long Mac-user I am not accustomed to tabs and therefore don’t need or use them.

Tabs have been in Mac apps, such as Apple Safari and Final Cut Pro, for many years.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to RichardOverton

I don't understand the man who is not accustom to tabs. There are tabs on lots of Mac software and have been for the whole time I have used a Mac (over 5 years now)

Well, I’ve been working on Macs considerably longer and most applications that I have been familiar with for a long time did not present document windows as tabs (originally), so I am simply used to maneuvering windows.

Tabs have always been on Photoshop too.

Since which version have you been using Photoshop, because that statement seems incorrect for Photoshop on Mac?

Edit: I any case a Feature Request is the way to go when you find a feature lacking.

That way the Adobe folks can assess if other users feel the same way and decide whether it may be worth the expenditure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to RichardOverton

RichardOverton wrote:

Anyway, thanks Conrad, I thought that was going to work but when I use Mission Control the apps are all behind each other (because they are all open in the same program), not spaced out nicely if they were open in seperate programs. Damn it! I thought you had a solution there.

Part of the problem is that I left out a detail in my suggestion. It works if the windows are separately floating (not tabbed) before going into Full Screen mode. If I press Control+F3 (Control + whatever key you use for Mission Control), the Control key shows only the windows in Photoshop, spreading them out individually so I can easily click one.

However, it means you cannot simultaneously have tabbed documents outside Mission Control and separate windows in Mission Control. This seems to be an OS issue, not a Photoshop issue, though. No matter which app it is on the Mac, tabs don't show up separately in Mission Control. The same thing happens in Safari: One floating window equals one window in Mission Control no matter how many tabs are in it. That's why it also doesn't work with Application Frame on, because Application Frame puts everything into one floating window.

But if you're open to having the documents start out as floating windows, then Control+F3 might get you there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:52 PM   in reply to RichardOverton

The latest three out of thirteen versions hardly qualifies as »always«.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points