• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player Installer/Uninstaller 11.2.r202 has encountered a problem and needs to close

Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that with the last 3 or 4 Flash Player updates, once the update is complete but before the installer actually exits, I get an error message box telling me that "Adobe Flash Player Installer/Uninstaller 11.2.r202 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.", etc., etc., etc.  I've received this error message numerous times as most of the computers I work on are Windows XP SP3 (all updates) with Internet Explorer 8 as the browser, including my own computer and my wife's.  If I could copy & paste the details, I would.  But the temp file that's supposed to be created for error reporting purposes, isn't, and I'm not going to spend the next half an hour transcribing all the technical details.  I just want you to be aware there's a problem with your installer.       -kd5150-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

We released Flash Player 11.3.300.270 today to specifically address the crash in FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe.  Please see this announcement post for additional details and links to the installers:

8/2/2012 - Flash Player 11.3 Update

We'd like to thank everyone that helped us troubleshoot and debug this issue.  I'm sorry you had to go through this but glad it's now resolved.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try using the offline installer from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#Install_in_a_... ?

If it still fails, can you go through the clean install procedure in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315 then run the offline installers again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

The initial install goes just fine on all computers.  It's the updating of the flash player where the installer/uninstaller goes badly, bringing up the aforementioned error, and always on Windows XP computers. 

Why has Adobe had to alter the flash player to the point where it now installs a updater service, an updater scheduled task, and updating options within the application?  Flash player used to be a simple ActiveX control, you've turned it into bloatware that now needs to install itself as a major application.  Go back to the basics!  Quit trying to turn the flash player into some bloated, intrusive RealPlayer-like application!  It doesn't need to be anything more than what it used to be.  Macromedia had it right.

Sorry for the rant, can you find out what's going on with your installer/uninstaller 11.2.r202 in regard to Windows XP?  It's happening on multiple computers so I know it's not just my problem.       -kd5150-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can think of is that your antivirus software is interfereing with the update process; what are you using, and what version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avast! Free Antivirus v7.0.1426

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this same error box, since last installing an Adobe Flash Player update a few days ago.  Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Flash Player and am still getting the error box several times a day.  I am on Vista Ultimate. I use Bitdefender antivirus, but was not getting these error msgs before. Would someone at Adobe address this issue? Or someone who has solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll bet there are alot more people having this same problem who either don't have the time or the inclination to ask for help, or they just can't find this forum.  It took me awhile to find this place, Adobe doesn't make it easy.       -kd5-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying.  Do you have this problem, and a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you are running into this crash.  To help investigate the problem, we'll need you to do a few things for us.

First, add the following line to the file mms.cfg (open in Notepad)

SilentAutoUpdateVerboseLogging=1

You can find the mms.cfg file here:

xp, vista, and windows 7 32bit: c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\mms.cfg

windows 7 64bit: c:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash\mms.cfg

Next, we'll want to get a crash dump so we can see what's going wrong.  You can enable crash logging on Windows Vista or 7 using the following steps:

1. Download the following files: Enable Crash Logging.reg and Disable Crash Logging.reg.
  2. Double-click the Enable Crash Logging.reg file. Click Yes in the Registry Editor dialog.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Let the updater/installer crash occur
  5. After the crash, open a file browser window and type the following in the navigation bar:%localappdata%
  6. Go to the CrashDump folder.
  7. Select the most recent file that appears with the extension .dmp.
  8. Double-click the Disable Crash Logging.reg file downloaded in Step 1 and click OK.
  9. Restart your computer.
  10. Zip up the .dmp file and mail it (or a dropbox link) to ccampbel@adobe.com with a link to this thread.

For XP, follow these steps:

1. Show hidden files.  For more details, see the instructions for Windows XP.
  2. Repeat the steps that resulted in the installer crash
  3. After the crash, open the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson
  4. Locate the file named with the extension .dmp that corresponds with the correct date and time
  5. Zip up the .dmp file and mail it (or a dropbox link) to ccampbel@adobe.com with a link to this thread.

In addition to the .dmp, please post or send me your Flash Installation.log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I am following the steps.  One question: steps 6 and 7.  Once I select the file requested, I then go to the folder where the .reg file is and dbl-click it. But how will the file in step 6 still be highlighted (selected)  Or what do those 2 steps in that order mean for me to do?

Thanks,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI again, Chris, I got the crash, and displayed the local directory following step 4, however there is no folder there called CrashDump. I also searched the computer for *.dmp and no file was created (none exists) with that extension.  Best, Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

The only time I get the installer/uninstaller crash is when Flash needs to update.  I uninstalled Flash altogether prior to receiving this reply, then installed it fresh, it installed just fine as usual.  I only have problems when Flash needs to update so I'll have to wait for that.  I'm assuming at this point that you guys (at Adobe) don't have any XP computers to test this out on?

-kd5150-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael - Thank you for trying.  Would you be willing to do a desktop sharing session with me so I can take a look at the error and see if I can get a crash log created?  If so, please feel free to contact me at ccampbel@adobe.com.

kd5150 - We've got lots of XP systems, it's just a matter of reproducing it.  In our testing, we have not encountered this with XP, nor have I heard of other users running into crashes (except those that were using ESET's products).  I suspect there's a conflict with something specific to your system and am hoping that the crash log will give us additional details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent what I could, hope it's enough.       -kd5-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dito here...

Win XP SP3

Browser Firefox 13.0.1

No network, laptops do not connect to the PC

Problem started after the last Flash update a few days ago.

In my case it also blocks Photoshop CS5 if I am working in it so that I have to start all over again after a reboot, loosing all changes I had already made.

Could someone please create a new update with a fix for this problem as (without wanting to rant in turn or be unfriendly) I am kind of tired of being a techy half of my time so I can keep on doing what I have the computer for in the first place...

An addition to my post:

I have done the clean install and installed the 10.3 version that never gave me a problem. Maybe this way I can wait out till a solution is found...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and it is becoming really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I talked to Adobe this morning and they helped me out of this.

Go to "Adobe Flash Player Support" us use this url:  http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

Follow the directions and download the latest version of Flash Player.

That will fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same as everyone else, the installer worked fine, but the updater breaks every few minutes, it's really annoying when playing a game.

Here's what it says:

"Adobe® Flash® Player Update Service 11.3 r300 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

There is a "more info" kind of link, and it has this:

"EventType : BEX     P1 : FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe     P2 : 11.3.300.262

P3 : 4fe2118a     P4 : FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe     P5 : 11.3.300.262    

P6 : 4fe2118a     P7 : 0002970a     P8 : c0000409     P9 : 00000000     "

There is a "more technical info" link too.

C:\DOCUME~1\khrys\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER150e.dir00\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\khrys\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER150e.dir00\appcompat.txt

Unfortunately, by the time O got there, the folder WER150e.dir00 had disappeared, if it ever existed.

Well,  I went to that URL, and it said I have version 11.3.300.257, I run Windows XP (32-bit), and Google Chrome (for now, but I use many browsers to test my sites).

Unfortunately, this seems to be the latest version, so no update is available to me.

I hope there is a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems on ALL of my Window XP computers and it is a real problem, as we are a research lab and this darn ERROR message comes up ALL the time. 

"Adobe® Flash® Player Update Service 11.3 r300 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I need a fix for this ASAP!!  FLASH is working fine and I have manually loaded the current version as others above have stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  I wish they would fix it!  It started a few days ago also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use McAfee Security Center and  and have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got another update (to 11.3.300.268) this morning, this time it was "Adobe Flash Player Installer/Uninstaller 11.3.r300 has encountered an error and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I don't think anyone from Adobe is even reading this thread anymore.       -kd5-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just happened on my wife's computer, also XP SP3, IE8.        -kd5-

Hello hello hello.......is there anybody in here?  Just nod if you can hear me.......is there anyone at home?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a virus scan on them? Try disabling it and then running the install. That's what I've been doing recently and haven't had any issues. I know not a fix to it but at least it resolves the annoyance. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines