Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adding textures to shapes while preserving current gradients

Apr 18, 2012 1:58 PM

Tags: #mask #clipping #gradient #texture

I need to add this brick texture to the building but want to keep the gradient on the brick the same. I've tried clipping masks a couple different ways and couldnt come up with the correct result. What is the correct way to do this?

Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 3.55.10 PM.png

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to mhossey

Clipping masks are explained in the manual. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-644aa.html

Why didn't it work out for you? What result did you get?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Or do you mean this?

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to mhossey

Assuming that the bounding box of the raster image is the boundaries of the brick texture on your attachment, select the raster image object and choose Object > Flatten transparency. In the options dialog box that appears, drag the slider to 100% vector, make sure there is no alpha channel checked, and press OK.

With the selection tool (black pointer) position the lower right corner of the image on the same corner of the wall shape and drag the left side to fit the width of the shape.

Take the Free Transform tool (hotkey E), click and hold the top left corner of the raster image object, press and hold Ctrl/Cmd key and drag down vertically until you mach the shape of the texture with the shape of the wall, In addition to holding Ctrl/Cmd while dragging you can also press and hold the Shift key to constrain the move vertically.

edit: If you have a transparent gradient object over the texture, after flattening the transparency of the raster, select both raster and object before making all transformations - .

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to mhossey

Well, I'm still not sure what you are looking for. If all images that you and I posted is not what you are looking for, may be it will help if you try sketching roughly how you want the brick texture to appear? I also don't know what is the "building" from everything shown so far. Initially you mentioned "wall" and I assumed that the shape next to the texture is a perspective view of a wall and you want the brick texture on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to mhossey

Buildings you say Use the perspective grid the grid can be adjust to the way you have the wall configured but instead of making it the shape first you make it a simple rectangle and map the rectangle to the grid the same thing for the bricks make certain the brick art is vector. Read about the Perspective Grid in the help files. I made the brick art and opacity and clipping mask a symbol but that might not be necessary.

Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 10.45.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 10.51.58 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:01 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I might be wrong about this as the mask may not conform to the grid.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to mhossey

How is the brick art created? Is it a raster image?

How is he gradient applied to the brick art is it another shape on top with a trasparent gradient or two objects with the top as an opcaity mask?

Describe how you created the Brick art and perhaps show us a  screenshot with the layers panel expeanded for the brick art and gradient so we might find a cause and effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to mhossey

Try this copy the building shape the fill it with white place it over the over the brick art and make an opacity mask then place the art over the building shape.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to mhossey

OK, then back to the question in your first post

mhossey wrote:

.... I've tried clipping masks a couple different ways and couldnt come up with the correct result. What is the correct way to do this?

Move the wall shape in front of the texture (compound path). Select the wall shape and compound path and apply clipping mask from the Object menu > Clipping Mask > Make (or press Ctrl/Cmd + 7 on your keyboard).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to mhossey

Can we see the layers panel and the appearance panel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to mhossey

mhossey wrote:

Thats getting closer, the only problem is it doesnt leave the color of the original shape.

then before making the steps in my post #14, select and copy the green wall shape. After applying the clipping mask select all and choose Edit > Paste in Front (Ctrl + F). Then from the Transparency Panel choose Color from the blending menu that is in front of the Opacity.

Alternatively you can create your gradient with the green colors.

edit: Another alternative is instead of making a copy as a separate object, you can make it as a new fill of the group with color blending mode. To do that select the clipping mask object, in the Appearance panel, select Group, from the flyout menu of the Appearance panel, select New Fill, make it green and using the Transparency panel choose the Color blending mode

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points