Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adding whatever is needed for site to be indexed by Google

Apr 19, 2012 4:22 AM

Tags: #search #google #meta_tags

I'm a Novice!

I've just finished creating a new version of my website using Muse.

I publish my site to my own domain and my existing site has a sitemap.xml at the root level of the directory. So far I think I understand!

(I have previously used Xtralean - Shutterbug)

My existing site also has meta (tags?)  and search tags, along with a Google analytics script.

How and where do I add this to the new Muse site?

And what else do I need to do - and how do I do it?

ShutterbugMetaTags.png

Anything beyond design & layout are really beyond me so I need help!

Many thanks,

Peter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to P Moloney

Hi Peter

for Metadata : http://forums.adobe.com/message/4332431#4332431

Basically, in Plan view, right click the page you want to add Metadata to, click "Page Properties" click "Metadata" button on the upper right hand side. This is where you can add your key words, descriptions and add the offical name to your page in case you want it differently than you named it whilst designing. For example "Home" on the site plan can now become  "Peter Maloney | Commerical Photographer | Dublin"

Your Google Analytics script would need to be manually inserted into the header script. You can't do this within Muse, you would need to do it with an HTML editor after exporting your HTML, CSS and image files from Muse. Alas, this means that every time you update your site, you would need to manually tweak the output each time...

Google has some information about where to put the tracking code here:

http://support.google.com/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=5 5574

http://support.google.com/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=5 5488

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to P Moloney

Beware that meta descriptions and sitemaps are not considered as much as the actual readable content on your pages.

If you are designing a Muse site with more graphics than readable text, you can expect your site to be ignored by Google.

Google Analytics has a couple types of scripts. There is a variation that does not need to be placed in the header. It could be inserted with Muse's "arbitrary HTML" insert function, which places your own HTML/CSS/JS within the body. Google recommends that it is placed right before the closing BODY tag but Muse offers no real control on this. So you are stuck with wherever it falls.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points