Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Blu-ray resolution problems

Apr 19, 2012 5:12 AM

Hi,

i made a composition in Ae using 10 swf's that were created in flash at a resolution of 720x480 at 30fps. i wanted to create a bluray disk, so i set the composition to 1920x1080 at 29.97fps. I then rendered it as an avi, quicktime and h.264-bluray format just to see which produced better results and i inserted it into an Encore composition. After burning it,  i played the bluray disk on a bluray player using a 32inch screen. The picture was centered but very small- only about a third of the screen.

Can anyone please tell me what i am doing wrong.

Thanks,

Eric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to ericcan3183

Can anyone please tell me what i am doing wrong.

Well:

i wanted to create a bluray disk, so i set the composition to 1920x1080 at 29.97fps.

But did you scale the content? AE doesn't to any auto-fitting/ scaling. Just making the comp bigger will only increase the boundaries...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to ericcan3183

In AE, right-click the footage in the composition area next to the timeline.  Find Transform, choose fit to comp, or I would say fit to Width.  Your footage will be scaled automatically how you'd like it to fit best.  Or choose Layer in the menu, Transform and you'll find the same options.

Jesse

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to ericcan3183

"What frame rate do you think i should use? The swf files are 30fps. Also- should i render it as an avi, quicktime or h.264-blu-ray for import into Adobe Encore?"

This is slightly out of my area of expertise, swf and 30fps, but I think you answered your own question above; as you state your AE comp is HD and 29.97.  I'm not an expert in Blue-Ray, but I would say you'd want to be at the drop-frame fps.

Best is not to compress your export of the AE comp.  Compress later in Adobe Media Encoder or FCP Compressor.  Render out of AE in 4444 ProRes if you need the alpha channel or else Animation, PNG or the like.  Or even 422.  Then compress to your preferred format for use in Encore.  I would say a full HD h264 would work well.

Jesse

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points