Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Image Renditions in Content Finder

Apr 12, 2012 10:27 AM

Hello,

Marketing team wants to make use of image renditions feature of DAM, but they want the ability to choose from various rendered images and then drag & drop on to a CQ page from content finder. But I found out that renditions are not available in content finder. I am aware of one solution, which is to customize the image component to have a selection of existing renditions of an asset, so that marketing will have the ability to choose from the existing renditions. But I am wondering what is the use of renditions feature, if they can't be accessible directly by users to drag and drop them on to the page or to access them from creative suite of products.

I will appreicate if some one can help me with this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Murali Vusthipalli

Murali,

I have the same exact question - what good are the renditions if the users can't access them?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Tmadel

Rendions are different representations of the same asset. In CQ, components should know best, which rendition to use for their particular purpose. This is why they are not directly accessible to the end use in Content Finder. They are accessible, however for advanced users in DAM Admin in the renditions tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Murali Vusthipalli

I completely agree with you Murali.  Curious as to why the standard

components would not support the multiple renditions - is it because some

customers don't opt for the full DAM?

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Murali Vusthipalli

In fact, the images are rendered by the image component, so users should never have to resize manually and upload a rendition. For web authors, renditions simply should not matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Murali Vusthipalli

I don't think it works that way - if a large file image is loaded into the

DAM, that is what gets loaded on the the page not the smaller versions.

The image can be resized for display, but the file size remains the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Tmadel

I just checked this behavior. In CQ 5.5, an image dropped in an image component OEM is trunct'ed to fit the column or parsys that it is added to. The image remains 100% full-scale and flush left. In the past as a CQ architect, I have participated in the conversation no less than 10 times. If fact I discussed this with a client last week. They insisted on being able to use renditions as part of content.

I've advised on various solutions. The most complex solution I've advised on will autosize the image component to fit the column it is used in without author intervention. This is, however, predicated on the column components to be rewritten using a grid system and not %. It's extremely complex and changes the behavior of various components dramatically.

I agree I don't fully understand or embrace the philosophy on this one. I see the purist attitude toward renditions of images but its not practical in the field. Under the current philosophy images of the same size and scale will be cached in multiple locations.

Lars, feel free to school us on this one... it's your baby.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to TJ Iaciofano

TJ, you are right - the image component cannot magically figure out the available witdth of the surrounding paragraph system, and thus it will always use the constraints set in design mode. What you should do is drop a component into the page, then open design mode and set maximum width for the image component. The image itself will be served by the image component - and the path will be something like http://localhost:4502/content/geometrixx-outdoors/en/_jcr_content/par/ image_fc5b.img.jpg/1335129761092.jpg and not contain /content/dam - when you open this image directly, you will see that is resized exactly to the desired format on the server-side.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points