Skip navigation
Matchframe_Ken
Currently Being Moderated

Automated audio level changes in PP6 now possible on a clip by clip basis?

Apr 18, 2012 11:26 AM

Anyone know if PPro 6 now enables audio automation to be written on a clip basis rather than on the track?  This was the one key feature missing for me when attempting to move from FCP7.  I couldn't get my head around having the entire mix rendered useless by inserting a clip at the front of the edit .... waiting for this one - please tell me it's been done!

Best,  Ken.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to Matchframe_Ken

Ken,

We will all soon know. At this point, anyone, who knows, cannot say so, and anyone, who says, does not know.

Actually, I find the Track Keyframe Automation in Audio Mixer to be very, very useful.

In my workflow, the last two things that I do, other than testing, are to do my final Audio editing, including using the Audio Mixer, and then Scoring the Soundtrack, so Track Keyframes work perfectly for me.

Good luck, and watch for Todd to start making some announcements very soon.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to Matchframe_Ken

In the improvements I've seen listed so far for PP's audio handling, it hasn't been mentioned.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Matchframe_Ken

You can do this now in Pr CS5.5, and possibly earlier versions.  On the Timeline Track panel, there's a diamond shaped dropdown menu (Show Keyframes) from which you can select "Show Clip Keyframes."  Do whatever automation you want on your clips, and the automation will ripple when you move clips around in your Sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

He wants the Audio MIxer sliders to control clip volume, not track volume.  That's not current possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I didn't infer that from his post, but I can see how one could.  Using keyframes is automating volume.  And if one wants to ripple automation, that's one way to do it.

Another is to set Clip Volume with the Clip>Audio Options>Audio Gain settings.  You can subdivide clips with the Razor tool, and give each section it's own volume.  A great advantage of this method is that you can visualize if your audio track is mostly even, as any changes you make with Audio Gain will affect the size of the waveform display.  And of course, these settings also ripple.

I made a keyboard shortcut for Audio Gain, which really speeds up my "automation" of audio clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Using keyframes is automating volume.

Well...in this context, "automating volume" refers to using the Touch, Latch and Write options of the audio mixer.  If you set the keyframes yourself, that's more of a "manual" adjustment.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

Using keyframes is automating volume.

Well...in this context, "automating volume" refers to using the Touch, Latch and Write options of the audio mixer.  If you set the keyframes yourself, that's more of a "manual" adjustment.

Well then, let's extrapolate from your statement.  The instant that you start moving the "Automation Fader," you have made a manual adjustment.

There's no way to get to "automation" without doing some work, "manually."

The "real" automation is in the playback, irrespective of the method you used to get there.

(BTW, I think that rippling track automation is a damn good idea, and it should have always been there.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Well then, let's extrapolate from your statement.

There's no need.  My interpretation offered is the standard one that most anyone using PP will comprehend.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points