Skip navigation
StellaYork
Currently Being Moderated

How do I re-open files after fatal error/crash? and how to prevent the crashes from happening?

Apr 18, 2012 10:05 AM

Tags: #crash #captivate5x #fatal_error

Four times this morning Captivate 5.5 has crashed on me when I was trying to copy and paste in a text box. I get a fatal error message and then I cannot open the file.

First of all, how can I re-open the file? I tried deleting the locks.

Second, what the heck is causing it to crash and how do I prevent it? I cannot work this way...

Thanks for your help.

Stella

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to StellaYork

Hi Stella

Where is your project file while you are making edits? Is it on your local C drive or is it on the network on a drive with a letter beginning with E or F or G or other? If it's on the network, that could explain the crashing. Try moving it to your C drive and see if things improve. They should. But if it's already on the C drive, more detective work is needed to determine why it's crashing.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to StellaYork

Are you by any chance trying to paste formatted text instead of plain text into this text box?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to StellaYork

Can you try pasting in plain text and check that it does NOT crash under that circumstance first?

If pasting plain text is not an issue, but pasting formatted text IS causing a crash, then that would be the issue.  Something about the formatting is breaking Captivate.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 6:56 PM   in reply to StellaYork

OK.  So did you have backups turned on?  Did Captivate create a backup file for you to open?

If you don't have a backup file, can you use the Cached folder for this project to regenerate the module?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to StellaYork

Then your only other option to recover the project is probably going to be trying to resurrect it from your cache:

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/09/recovering-the-project.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to StellaYork

Try unchecking the "High Fidelity" option. Let us know if that does the trick.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points