Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need a sound card recommendation

Apr 19, 2012 9:13 AM

Hi:

I've just gotten into using Premiere Pro CS5 and have gotten the rudiments down. I now need to do a voice over and need to know what kind of audio/sound card to be able to record the voice over to a file that can be imported into the program. There are plenty of sound cards out there but all they talk about is how they apply to gaming. So, I need a recomendation for a sound card.

Thanks in advance,

M

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Mahoney48

Many people just use the sound on the motherboard... what is your motherboard and sound chip?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Mahoney48

Basic recommendation: no extra sound card. Use on-board sound.

For VO use a good mic, and something like the Zoom H4N, nothing USB or similar crap.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to Mahoney48

Correct. There was a recent thread about this topic, I'll post it when I find it.

Found it: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4311277#4311277

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to Mahoney48

is voice really the orphan in this forum? Here we get great recommendations to spend thousands of $/€ for NLE HW/SW  and a 200$ piece should be the cure of all voice issues? It's common sense that the ears are not forgiving even slight "errors" in comparision to our eyes (tons of daily broadcasted mobile videos prove this ...)

Jokes aside --> I also own a H4N, but would never go (for serious work) with the WAV file into PPRO (in my small home studio together with AKG C214 mic into a Yamaha N12 digital mixer, DAW Suite from Cubase and Genelec monitors/basswoofer, cost approx 3 K).

Besides the url provided from Harm a quick deep dive can be found here:

http://izotope.com/products/audio/nectar/index.asp

The advanced video files on this WP show virtually all voice related issues and possibilities to get a broad, impressive and convincing VO sound.

HB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points