Skip navigation
cheekbones1
Currently Being Moderated

Spry menu bar stuck as unordered list

Apr 17, 2012 8:43 AM

Tags: #spry #menu #bar #list #unordered

I'm completely new to Dreamweaver and am trying to use it to update an existing website.  I exported the website files back onto my PC.

When I open a page in DW to edit it, the Spry menu bar (which works with horizontal drop down on the website) shows as an unordered list.  If I preview it, the list remains, i.e. the menu bar doesn't re-appear.

If I click the 'turn styles off/on' button, nothing happens.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice as to what I can do in order to get the page to open in DW with the menu bar functioning.

Many thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to cheekbones1

Hi,

it sounds like your DW doesn't find the files situated in the "SpryAssets" directory. Please control your pathes. If there is a deeper nested directory or a file you need these ../ or ../../.

If not, please load up your website onto your server, no matter how it looks like and give us the link to it.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to cheekbones1

Hello cheekbones,

here my "cookbook". First open one of your files, and jump to the place where you want to insert a spry menu.

drSpryInsert.jpg

next step select the layout:

drSprySelect.jpg

If you had used a new DW file as I did for this example, your source code would like this:

drSprySourcecode.jpg

The two files, which you need, takes DW of itself and expects that your files are stored in a folder "SpryAssets". If DW does not find them it will ask you for them.

Good luck!

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to cheekbones1

Hi,

here it's now time to look after my family (blue hour), some hours before we have to go to bed.Also dann bis morgen!

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to cheekbones1

Hi cheekbones,

I copied your source code into my DW and I used my SpryAssets, in the same directory. The spry menu bar worked in this case, by deleting these ../.

And in this context, the question arises, why did you insert a SpryMenuBarVertical, as I can see here:

<link href="SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarVertical.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />?

In my opinion you can delete it there.

Hans-Günter

P.S.

cheekbones > Wangenknochen?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to cheekbones1

Hi D,

sorry no images in your note. Here a screenshot of MY directory:

drCheekB.jpg

what gives with my

<script src="SpryAssets/SpryMenuBar.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<link href="SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

drCheekSpr.jpg

Hans-Günter

P.S.

Blaue Stunde > Blue Hour is today mainly a poetic term for the time between sunset and the twilight darkness of the night and for the time just before sunrise.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_hour

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to cheekbones1

Hi D,

you welcome, good luck furthermore!

Let me add to your statement the importance of my suggestions which I expressed already in point 1: "it sounds like your DW doesn't find the files situated in the "SpryAssets" directory. Please control your pathes. If there is a deeper nested directory or a file you need these ../ or ../../."

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to cheekbones1

I would use trial-and-error method, 'cause nobody here knows your tree structure (see above). The best would be you load your website up to your server and publish a link to it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points