Skip navigation

ESC key not working outside PS in Vista...

Oct 23, 2007 9:51 AM

Latest reply: DC Cardwell, Mar 9, 2014 5:02 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 9:26 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

I have a brand new Sony Vaio laptop using an Nvidia GT 520M graphics card, and yet I am experiencing this exact problem with my Esc key. This clearly isn't an ATI issue in my case.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and Adobe Photoshop CS4 64-bit. If I close Photoshop normal Esc key functionality returns... that points to Photoshop as being related to the problem. You can try to shift the blame to other parties if you want, but you can't deny that the Esc key works perfectly when Photoshop isn't running.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 1:36 AM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

Ok, but what about this then:

- Brand new install of Windows 7 Professional x64 nl_NL

- Only nVidia WHQL latest drivers (no control panel).

- Installed all Windows Updates that were offered

- Installed all the Adobe updates that were offered.

Esc key still not working in other applications when Photoshop CS4 is running!

For the love of sanity, at least admit there could be a possability that this "feature" is'nt exclusively third party related, and I'm stating it very nice, I believe.

Unfortunately, it's all too late, CS5 upgrade is the only real sollution aparently and I can't afford it right now.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 22, 2011 12:29 AM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

Intel chipset users should look at this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1636488#1636488 ricght-click on your intel GMA icon in the system tray , and check "disable hotkeys" OR in the intel drivers settings, uncheking rotate displays did the trick for the same user.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to (Eli_Roth)

I am also having this problem, however, it is with a much larger problem in my specific case.

For nearly six(6) months now, I have been using Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 since I purchased the program with my Wacom Pen and Touch art tablet, and for a while the program worked fine. Recently, I have been having a recurring problem with the functions of my keyboard keys such as my 'esc', 'crtl', 'alt', 'Capslock', and even the function command keys either malfunctioning, being broken, and even switching command functions in a random pattern(ie. the 'Delete' key will become both Delete and F3/4/5 simultaneously.). This only happens when Photoshop Elements is running, and the problems only get worse when the Elements Editor is opened. I have attempted to perform the suggestions found in this forum topic, however the Shift+Esc command does not work for me when I use it. Again, this only happens when I am running Photoshop Elements.

As of late, I have been experiencing crashes in your software that are now beginning to delete my saved images. The deck for Elements 8 works fine, and I have not had any problems with the Organizer, aside from the breaking of certain key commands. However, when the Elements 8 Editor is opened, immediatly after initializing the UI the program crashes and deletes or corrupts any file I am trying to open. Recently I have started creating duplicates of my remaining PSD files because the program is corrupting PSD files at random apparently on my computer every time it crashes. I have already had a full system failure as a result to your software crashing.

I have never had this problem with any other software. This problem is isolated to Photoshop specifically, and is a software malfunction, apparently unrelated to any specific drivers and processors. I have been advised by others to 'upgrade' to a newer version of Photoshop, however to preempt this, my answer is the same as all others: I have limited funds, and I do not have the money to upgrade to a newer version of an already faulty software.

I rely on your software heavily right now as I am trying to get into school, and this unreliable software is creating a serious problem for me.

I run Photoshop Elements 8 on Windows 7 Starter with a 1.67Ghz Intel Atom processor and 2GB of RAM.

I would like a solution to this problem, not a patch, seeing as the most expensive photo-editing software on the market is quickly beginning to take up actions that I suspect are the work of a malicious program.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to ShaydeMohr

Adding another case to the list here....

I am running Photoshop CS3 on Vista 64 and just recently started having this same issue.

I am not sure what the exact change would have been, but it started happening less than a month ago.

...I close PS CS3 and the problem goes away.

I am already in the midst of upgradding my whole system, hardware and software to Win 7x64 and CS 5.5, so it is not a crisis for me. But as I live in Photoshop and Illustrator most of the time, a non functioning escape key is pretty frustrating. If I can help diagnose the problem, let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2014 5:02 AM   in reply to IntelliSerge

Thanks so much for the tool, IntelliSerge! This issue has been driving me nuts for a long time and I never made the connection with Photoshop until today. I wondered why I couldn't ESC out of Irfanview, which I often have running to preview files before opening them in Photoshop.

The tool fixes it admirably. Well done!

- DC

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)