Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working around the 10.7 Lion Flash Player settings bug

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2011 Jul 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tyHV_cz5gA

In this video, I describe how you can work around the Flash Player / 10.7 settings bug by using Flash Player's native control panel.  This should help you solve every issue except for disabling hardware acceleration.  We working hard to get this bug fixed asap.

Thanks,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2011 Jul 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chris.

But it still doesn't work if I use the Private Browsing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2011 Jul 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should help me to solve every issue? How do I switch to another camera if i have more than one cam connected (internal / external)? This is not configurable using the global settings (preferences) - or is it?

This is a 10.7 problem only? I had it on 10.6 also with flash 10.3 - and others too - just google it...

Thanks for your help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried using your suggestions to help me with my "Local Storage" bug...However, after pressing the apple, selecting System Preferences...the Storage settings was already selected as "Allow" and did not require me to change it.  When I selected "Local Storage Settings by Site..." all the sites were set to "Allow" and yet the settings bug still remains on the screen...

Please see my post javascript:;

for the screenshot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. The workaround doesn't work for Local Storage. Any information on when a fix may be available for this? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We anticipate releasing a new version of Flash Player early next week.  If everything goes to plan this should be on Tuesday, August 9th.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I understand how frustrating this bug can be (I've got two Lion systems with the current version of Flash Player installed.)

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has been resolved with 10.3.183.5. I was able to Allow/Deny Local Storage requests. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's now 10.25.15 and bug still exsists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post your video in othe formats? Real  Player format? Can't view the Flash movie, Flash is not working in browser! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have Adobe Flash version 10.3.183.7 installed on my Mac, I am using 10.7.1.  I have been working in Shutterfly, creating a photo book, and I keep getting a similar message to the one shown in Chris's video.  The dialog box is asking to use more storage space - it lists "Requested - Up to 1 MB, Currently Used - 1 KB".   I am not able to click on any of the buttons on the dialog box and my shutterfly page freezes up.  I have tried this using Safari, Firefox, and Google Chrome and I get the same message.  I also tried opening the shutterfly book on a different mac computer which is running 10.6.8.

Per your video I have updated the systems preferences (storage, camera & mic, and playback) to allow the website listed in the dialog box (cdn.staticsfly.com), however the box still keeps popping up. 

Are there any other workarounds so I can use the Shutterfly web page?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this also occuring with 10.6.8?  From what I understand, this issue is specific to Lion and iMac (versions 7,1 and 8,1) with ATI Radeon HD2600 video cards.  Can you check to see if your system model is one of those?  I'm asking around to see if anyone knows of a workaround for these systems and will let you know what I find.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also have a MAC with Lion and a ATI Radeon HD 2600.. and I have been having the same problem for a few weeks, I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling Flashplayer and Google Chrome, and Firefox several times to no avail.  One cannot delete and reload Safari, Someone suggested empyting cache etc - but this does not work at all.

In my Local Storage Settings the website is shown as "allow" - and I have deleted all several times and then put them back.

It is getting most annoying,,,is there a fix for this - can one use an older version of Flash ? 

i have tried to find  "global settings" having looked in all the FAQ's etc but do not seem to be able to get anything in a window except  -  storage / Camera and Mic/Playback/ Advanced.  This only seems to allow you to go into  "local storage settings by site" which I have done and it shows the website !

I have version  10.3.183.7 of Flash.

thanks very  much,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on getting some steps together that should allow you to work around this.  I'll post back shortly.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

My imac 10.7.1 does use the ATI Radeon HD2600 video card.

The dialog box also is coming up on the Macbook 10.6.8 (this uses the ATI Radeon X1600).

Thanks for looking into some steps for a work around - that would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for your patience.  Here's some steps that should help:

Settings UI - Display Tab

9-25-2011 6-40-12 PM.png

You should be able to modify the hardware acceleration option when Flash Player is in full screen mode. Try the following steps:

1. Open a YouTube video in the browser.
  2. Expand to full screen mode.
  3. Right click on the video to invoke Flash Player Context menu, then click on ‘Settings’ to invoke Flash Player settings UI. (Note that you may need to do this twice if Settings UI is not invoked by the first click.)
  4. The settings UI should be clickable in fullscreen mode. Go to the Display tab and try enabling/disabling hardware acceleration. Click the ‘Close’ button to close Settings UI. (Note that this should be done while the YouTube video is playing.)
  5. Switch back to window mode. If you invoke the Settings UI again, you can verify that your previous setting in step 4. has been applied.

Settings UI - Privacy Tab

9-25-2011 6-40-31 PM.png

Settings on this Tab can be worked around by using the Flash Player native control panel's Camera and Microphone tabs.  See this video for more details.

Settings UI - Local Storage Tab

9-25-2011 6-40-50 PM.png

Most settings on this tab can be worked around by setting them in Flash Player's native control panel's Storage tab, except for setting the local storage limit.  One common case you may encounter is the "Local Storage" pop-up window that will appear if a website is requesting to store information on your computer.

fpsettings.png

Unfortunately, due to the current bug that effects some iMacs you're unable to click the Allow or Deny buttons. To temporarily avoid this pop-up window, we can do the following steps in Flash Player's native control panel (NCP)

1. Click on the ‘Storage’ tab in the NCP
  2. Select 'Allow sites to save information on this computer' if you want to allow the website to store information on your machine.
  3. Close the NCP and reload the website in browser.  No pop-up window should appear.

To change local storage settings by site do the following steps in the NCP:

1. Click on the ‘Storage’ tab in the NCP.
  2. Click on the 'Local Storage Settings by Site…' button, a dialog will appear that allows you to specify local storage settings for individual sites.
  3. For each website in the list, you can set ‘Storage Access’ to Allow or Block.

To change the local storage limit we can use the Website Storage Settings panel.

fpsettingsmanager.png

1. Click on a specific website where you'd like to change the storage limit, for example, my.adobeconnect.com
  2. Move the slider to set storage limit for this website.
  3. Refresh the ‘Website Storage Settings panel’ in the browser for the settings to take effect.

Settings UI – Microphone

9-25-2011 6-41-10 PM.png

You should be able to modify the microphone options when Flash Player is in full screen mode.  Here’s an example using Google Talk (you should be able to do this with any full screen Flash content).

1. Initiate a Google Talk session.
  2. Switch to full screen chat mode.
  3. Right click on the chat area to invoke Flash Player Context menu, then click on ‘Settings’ to invoke Flash Player settings UI. (Note that you may need to do this twice if the Settings UI is not invoked by the first click.)
  4. Now the Settings UI should be fully clickable.
  5. Exit from full screen mode. If you invoke Settings UI again, you should see you settings have taken effect

Settings UI – Camera

9-25-2011 6-41-26 PM.png

You should be able to modify the camera options when Flash Player is in full screen mode.  Here’s an example using Google Talk (you should be able to do this with any full screen Flash content).

1. Initiate a Google Talk session.
  2. Switch to full screen chat mode.
  3. Right click on the chat area to invoke Flash Player Context menu, then click on ‘Settings’ to invoke Flash Player settings UI. (Note that you may need to do this twice if the Settings UI is not invoked by the first click.)
  4. The Settings UI should be fully clickable.
  5. Exit from full screen mode. If you invoke Settings UI again, you should see you settings have taken effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I think it was changing the storage limit in the Website storage settings panel - that allowed me to move the arrow to unlimited storage and I have not received the error message again since.  I had already done several of the other steps you listed but I think that one did the trick for the project I was working on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

While the notes were very helpful in allowing me to change the Flash settings, I still have an issue.

Although I have turned Hardware Acceleration On and Off playback in full screen is still very jerky and poor, in fact it is really useless.

I too have the iMac with the ATI Radeon HD2600 video card in it.

Before Lion this worked perfectly well with Flash, but now it does not.

Is this a Flash issue or a Lion issue?

Will this ever be addressed by Adobe or Apple?

Thanks,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to note that the problem with unclickable settings persists, and I am using flash plug-in version 11.1.102.55

Going to full screen is not always possible with many chat sites, so the full screen "fix" won't work.

I too am using OSX Lion but had the problem with Leopard before I upgraded.

(forgot to mention that my graphics card chipset is ATI Radeon HD 2600}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for digging up an old thread but this is an intermittent issue I have had for the past 2 years or so (and so can't simply be a 10.7 issue).

Mac OS X 10.4.11

Flash 10,3,183,10

Firefox 3.6.23

RadeonX1600

I've found myself here after running into the issue again while playing this game http://www.physicsgames.net/game/Cut_and_Kill_Halloween.html . The Local Storage Settings pops-up after completing level 2 - which I cannot click. Also if I right click on a youtube video and select Settings, I also cannot click that.

In my attempts to find a solution in the past I have found other forums where it has been suggested that the issue is caused by folder permissions... and indeed when I performed "Repair Disk Permissions" just now in Disk Utility it found/fixed these:

Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r--

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player

...although unfortunately it hasn't fixed the issue.

Interestingly though, if I right click and sellect Settings on the embedded flash thing here: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ I CAN click and control it as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why has this still not been fixed? This was reported over SEVEN months ago.

Also, your work around does not work when it comes to Peer Assisted Networking. Even when manually entered into the "Local Storage Settings by Site" any site which requires P.A.N. still pops up the settings box and is therefore unusable.

Can we at least get an ETA for when this will be fixed and we can go back to using sites that we need? Also, one of the sites i need to use is Scene7. Shooting yourself in the foot there.

Using version 11.1.102.55.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

We haven't forgotten about this bug.  We're still working with Apple to get this resolved and I'll make sure to post here once the fix is available.

I'll also look into any workaround that might be able to help with with peer assisted networking.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I appreciate your persistence and optimism (really), but this is crazy.  I guess there is no love lost between Adobe and Apple, but this is a really important issue for millions of users.  When is this really going to be fixed?  Does your management care about this?  Seems they're just leaving you hanging!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that I must sound like a broken record, but this really hasn't fallen off our radar.  As for management caring, one of our engineering director's personal system is effected by this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I believe you. Just fix it already! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well I've done every thing on here but l Still wont work   FIX THIS OR EVEN BETTER VERSION

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines