Skip navigation
Holtenwood
Currently Being Moderated

Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) in Pixel Bender?

Apr 10, 2012 3:56 PM

Tags: #fft #fourier

Does anyone out there have a Pixel Bender algorithm for doing an FFT?

Searching the Internet I find a fair amount of dicussion about how this should be able to be done and probably pretty fast if executed on the GPU due to Pixel Bender's parallel proceesing. But I do not find any actual examples of it being done.

So far my own attempts at coding an FFT algorithm in Pixel Bender have failed.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to Holtenwood

Hello Holtenwood,

I don't know of anyone who's done this and I'm not an expert personally in GPU-ifying that algorithm.  It looks like GPU Gems 2 looked at doing FFT via a multipass shader.  You could probably do the multipass aspect via a graph that's simply a linear chain via the toolkit.  Any interpolated calculations happening in the vertex stage would need to be shoved into the fragment stage or out to the evalDependents/evalParameters stage.

Good luck!

Here's the article I was looking at to learn more:  http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter48.html

Chuck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to AIF Chuck

Hello again,

Sorry to dissapoint, but the toolkit doesn't support 32 bit image buffers in the GPU path and you'd want that for this application.  We support them under the hood when doing CPU path computations, but for what you want to do, there wouldn't be any point since GPU speed is what you're hoping for. 

Chuck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points