Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

GPU/system requirements for Speedgrade

Apr 19, 2012 3:53 AM

I'm in the process of building a new PC and just want to make sure I'm adequately supporting Speedgrade.  The smart me money seems to be on the 3Gb GTX 580 card over the Quadro 4000/5000.  Do I you have any sample configurations for working in realtime with Red media?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to Tayedrummer

Hi,

Please note that SpeedGrade is entirely GPU accelerated. For best results a nVidia Quadro 4000 or 5000 or 6000  is recommended.

With the Dynamic Quality-feature in Speedgrade, you can achieve real time playback at 1/8 or 1/4 resolution out of the full 4K/5K Red with allmost all workstations, though. In order to achieve 1/2 resolution real time playback of 4K/5K a good CPU (Corei7 or Dual Xeon) or a Red Rocket board is required. What kind of workstation do you have ?

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to Tayedrummer

Tayedrummer wrote:

I'm in the process of building this new system but I'd like to get it into a Radius EX chasis from Next Computing (http://www.nextcomputing.com/products/portable-workstations/radius-ex) so it is easy to bring on set.  That chasis can only accept an ATX sized motherboard so I'm likely going with a single 8-core E5 Xeon, GPU and Red Rocket.

The CPU choice seems pretty straight forward since the comon render codec's seem to lean heavily on the CPU.

The GPU choice is up in the air though.  The 6000 card is prohibitively priced.  5000 is within reach but it is still over twice the price of the 580 that many people seem to recommend as the strength of the Quadro's is supposedly in 3D and CAD applications.  I'm running a GTX 480 and a Red Rocket on a 3 year old i7 960 machine and I get realtime performance of Red and C300 media in Premiere and ScratchLAB.  Between that and threads like (http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?77102-Quadro-or-GTX-for-ne w-system) it seems like a GTX might do the trick.  Of course, I haven't heard from anyone at Adobe or with Speedgrade experience so I'm checking here to make sure I'm not crippling Speedgrade.

SpeedGrade is designed for single CPU + single GPU workstations. You'll be totally ok using the single 8-core ES Xeon.

The best choice of GPU is definitely a Quadro 4000 / 5000 / 6000, but the Geforce should do the trick if you don't need to work with SDI gear at all. SDI output  would require a Quadro SDI setup and is not available for the GeForce series.

As for differences in performance: if your main format is RED, and if you're already committed to using a rocket, the Quadro 5000 has been the most typical choice in the past. It leaves you with enough wiggle room for intense grading on high resolution material.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Patrick J. Palmer

The best choice of GPU is definitely a Quadro

Why is that exactly?  All the specs of the 5000 seem to be lesser than those of the GTX 580 - CUDA cores, memory bandwidth, clock speed, etc.  So leaving out the SDI issue, what exactly is it about Quadros that makes them better on the processing side of things over a higher spec'd GeForce?

I mean typically, performance is directly related to the specifications of the hardware.  So what am I missing that makes the 5000 perform better than a 580?

|
    Mark as:
  • Lin Sebastian Kayser
    15 posts
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 1:59 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

The Quadro is specifically optimized for OpenGL performance and SpeedGrade is heavily relying on OpenGL to do its magic. In addition, the Quadro drivers are specifically designed and tested to interact well with applications like ours.

As a general rule, it may take a bit of testing to get a good driver config with your Geforce.

Lin

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Lin Sebastian Kayser

Interesting.  Thanks.

Follow up if I may.

So what kind of performance differences can we expect to see between a 5000 and a 580?  Faster renders?  More responsive?  Better colors?  Something else?  (On a side note, I haven yet had any issues getting SpeedGrade to run using my 560Ti without any special config.)

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jul 20, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to Tayedrummer

speed grade won't load videos, it doesn't show icon pictures either, loading an edl in premiere pro and sending back to speed grade shows 'unknown reel not loaded.'

when i first loaded it, it worked fine for the first session, i loaded some gopro footage and applied a mask, and then rebooted, when i got the problem. i read the forums and it said there was a conflict with ff codecs so i uninstalled them, still broke. i am wondering if there is a problem with my physx video drivers. i am running a nvidia k20 k5000 tesla. i loaded it on a second computer same problem, i installed patch 6.0.4 still broke.

any suggestions. i have invested 20 hours researching a new software that hasn't produced any productivity and i am wondering if i should waste any more time... considering

that after effects was so slow it inspired this new computer (win7, 256 ram, 2x opteron 6380 16core) and it only uses maybe 17 gigs of ram total and is still slow, plus doesn't recognize the GPU. i am giving adobe a big thumbs down so far for customer service and products.

bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 1:49 AM   in reply to bobtype1

Hi Bob,

Please have a look at supported file formats:

http://helpx.adobe.com/speedgrade/using/file-formats.html

If an icon pictore doesn't show up in SG media browser, most likely the file format is not supported. If Quicktime .MOV file doesn't load, please make sure Quicktime player is installed.

Loading Gopro files:

Gopro videos are H.264 wrapped in .mp4 files. MP4 format is not supported in SG but it's possible to rename the clips to .MOV and load them in SG

Can you post a screen grab of SpeedGrade's error message when loading the EDL/clips ?

Thanks.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Dennis Weinmann

got it, i store all my vids in H.264 for compression i found using an uncomressed codec did the trick, but it is still lame to spend 2 hours converting the

codec in after affects and then another 2 hours rendering in speed grade. and then after again spending another 2 hours re-converting to the smaller

codec.

i have a plethra of differant videos formats in my archive and only one was recognized even though quicktime plays most of them if they are mp4 mov. also updated the video drivers i would think that since H.264 is so popular it would be supported... >either i am dumb and can't find it, or it should be in the next version<SG1.jpg

EDL file

mouse click.jpg

mouse click file

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 1:28 AM   in reply to bobtype1

I have posted a related answer to http://forums.adobe.com/message/5533873

I can't see the error message in first screengrab. Please select "Fit to screen" so the error message get's visible. Can you also upload a screengrab of SG desktop listing the not suported clips ?

Thanks.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to Dennis Weinmann

dennis,

it says "Unknown Reel not loaded" i found that out by double clicking on it, as far as the second error, i can't get it to do it anymore after i updated my drivers

now it doesn't load at all. i will keep in mind to try formatting a file with H.264/.mov next time i have 4 hours to not get any work done.

thanks,

bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 1:15 AM   in reply to bobtype1

Hey Bob,

Reel not loaded error messages show up if you load an EDL or when moving/renaming clips. To relink the offline media go to Reels, browse to clips in dektop and select "Load from desktop" This should re-link all your media.

Related article/video how to conform reels:

http://blogs.adobe.com/movingcolors/2012/12/12/how-to-conform-an-edl-i n-speedgrade/

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/cs6-creative-cloud-feature-tour-for-video/lo ading-and-conforming-material-in-speedgrade-cs6/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points