Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using Pagemaker 7 With a 64 bit system

Jan 2, 2009 8:09 PM

Is using Pagemaker 7 possible with a 64 bit system?

Thanks

Chris

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2009 5:53 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    Not at all likely. It's also worth noting that Adobe doesn't even
    support XP64 for those applications that it does support on 64
    bit...only Vista 64.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2009 4:55 PM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    Can say I've been running Pagemaker 6.52 on Vista 64 without any problems yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2009 1:51 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    As you say "without any problems YET". PM is not recommended on ANY 32 bit version of Vista, let alone 64 bit ones. Perhaps you've been 'lucky'.

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2009 6:17 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    I'm sorry but your opinion of why PM was "abandoned" is ridiculous. It
    has nothing to do with marketing shifts.

If you want to stick with PM go right ahead, but please get your facts
    straight. Well liked maybe, but it's marketshare was in the toilet
    thanks to Quark and the code was so horrible and even the engineers
    couldn't figure it out anymore.

PM was slated for the junk heap before Adobe bought it. Aldus had
    already started working on InDesign and was the real product that Adobe
    was after.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2009 11:05 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    Hopeless. Hope your luck lasts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2009 2:57 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    RPM, Bob is quite right. I was a big PM fan. However, it WAS getting old by the mid 1990's! PM 6.5 was the last throw o' the dice.

InDesign is partly about marketing as a company has to market a new product and a new way of doing things. However, PM would be struggling in its current form against QuarkXpress 4.X let alone later versions.

There's nothing to stop you using PM, today, tomorrow and next year. Just be prepered to find life tougher with regards to PM and future Windows upgrades which may break it. Vista SP2 is around the corner and lets not mention Windows 7. Will PM 7 continue to work then? InDesign to gets regular updates as well as upgrades which will keep it abreast of regular Windows udates, service packs and new versions.

PM will NOT ever be updated or upgraded. There will not be a PM8 nor even a PM7.5 to keep it Vista compliant.

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2009 8:05 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    I'm surprised Adobe still sell PM. I suppose they have a warehouse full of unsold copies and every few hundred quid they get helps the cash flow.

As you say, PM7 (or perhaps PM6.6 as there was no visible difference from PM6.5 a few years earlier) was a final thrash to keep the archaic PM code going on WinXP. That was six or more years ago, and Windows and MacOS have moved on considerably since then. PM should be six feet under and with a tombstone reminding us of the fun of 20 years ago.

In the meantime, InDesign is now in its third or fourth re-incarnation. (I'm still on CS2)

Iechyd da! John
    16:04 08/01/2009 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2009 6:17 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    PLZ HLP!!!

I'M TRYING DESPERATELY TO GET MY CLAY TABLETS TO WORK UNDER VISTA 64. I DON'T GET ANY RESPONSE FROM THE STYLUS, NO MATTER WHAT I DO. AND THE CUNEIFORM PICTOGRAPH DICTIONARY WON'T RECOGNIZE THE NEW HITTITE LOGOGRAPHS. I'VE BEEN USING CLAY TABLETS FOR OVER 30,000 YEARS, AND I'M VERY COMFORTABLE WORKING WITH THEM. THE TECHNOLOGY IS STONE SIMPLE AND RELIABLE. I'VE GOT SEVERAL MILLION DOCUMENTS ETCHED IN CLAY THAT ARE NOW OBSOLETE. WHY DID THE MARKETING PEOPLE HAVE TO ABANDON A TRIED-AND-TRUE TECHNOLOGY FOR ALL THIS NEW FANCY-PANTS STUFF? I'M SURE IRON AGE TECHNOLOGY IS FINE FOR SOME FOLKS, BUT I JUST DON'T WANT TO LEAVE THE BRONZE AGE. THANX ALOT, ADOBE!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2009 6:46 AM   in reply to Brutus_Maximus
    Lol!
    Didn't they have lower case in the bronze age ;)

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2009 2:43 PM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    Brutus, there's an FAQ somewhere about how to sharpen your chisel.

Iechyd da! John
    22:43 09/01/2009 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2009 10:00 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    Well... I'm new using PM, but I'm running PM 7.0 on XP 64.
    Two issues so far:
    1- Can't open PM 6.5 files, which is dreadfull to me as I do need them to work asap
    2 - When I place an image, it looses resolution and appears all blocky. Am I doing something wrong here (as noob as I am, it is quite likely) or is it a bug for 64 users?
    Any help is apreciated
    Thanks in advance

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2009 10:53 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    You've been answered elsewhere, but to make it clear:

> " PM ceased development in 2002, almost 7 years ago. Any help, support or advice is now based on archives, but for PM to operate properly, you must have your version installed on a contemporary version of Windows."

Iechyd da! John
    18:52 06/03/2009 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2009 1:12 PM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    Ok... its clear now
    Thanks a lot...
    Made it work in an old computer running XP32. Old files are opening!
    Strage is, I was working with PM 7.0 on XP64 quite good. Guess problems would arise sooner or later.
    But I rest my case..... don't want to linger any further on that matter!
    Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2009 1:51 PM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    For something slated for the junk heap with messed up code, they still seem to want $500.00 for it. I have it running fine on XP-SP3 & Windows 7 beta. I have CS4 but its a bit of an overkill for my 240 page catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 10:13 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    1. If your PM6.5 file not opening in PM7.0, just place the PM6.5 file by clicking PLACE under file menu, then select all and you will get all texts easily.

2. To view any placed graphic (Raster) just go to the PREFERENCE under file menu, click GENERAL. Under graphic display unit select HIGH RESOLUTION.

I think it is ok now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 10:28 AM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)
    @Galen: I'm intrigued...

I'd love to install my PM6.5x onto my 64-bit Vista system to manage one legacy project. How did you install it? When I put in the legal original CD, it tells me the install program is not compatible (vb3front.exe is probably the file being run as I get the same dialog if I run it instead of letting autorun do what it wants.)

This wasn't a huge surprise as it does say "for Windows 95" on the CD case -- and I can keep an old XP system going if I have to. Since this is for a single project that repeats annually with no marketing cost for me, I'm disinclined to change how I do it.

@others: As a general observation, old SW may now be "junk" compared to what is available now, but when it came out, we bought it because it did the job -- and often better than anything else available at the time. I've certainly recouped my original cost many times over for PageMaker (going back to Aldus days) and have since moved on to newer software. But unless somebody will pay me to migrate to a new platform, I'm very glad to still be able to fire up old software to get the work out.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 9:14 PM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)

Contrary to the comments listed, I've been using PageMaker 7.01 on a Vista Ultimate 64-bit, quadcore machine for about 15 months now.  I also use InDesign CS3.  Let me tell you how much I like both programs - I do a 29-page newsletter monthly and a 12-page newsletter monthly.  Sit down now.  I use PageMaker for the 30-page newsletter and InDesign for the 12-page newsletter - I converted the 12-page newsletter from PageMaker to InDesign to get some experience with InDesign before I transferred the "big" newsletter.  I did the first transfer about a year ago now.  Guess which program I'm still using for the 29-page newsletter - PageMaker.  One of the best features is that when a PageMaker file is converted to PDF, it is MUCH quicker now than on my old Windows XP machine.  Almost as fast as InDesign is at converting a document 2-1/2 times smaller! (29 pages vs. 12 pages.)  To see the newsletters, go to www.foothillsbsa.org and click on the "Newsletter" button and go to www.kennesawmountaintrailclub.org and click on the "newsletter" button.  Note the file sizes for the individiual newsletters.  Amazing that the 29-page newsletter is a smaller size despite the fact that the graphics are about the same resolution.  Sure, the pdfs are written in different versions of Adobe Acrobat, but that just goes to prove that Adobe has not improved the compression algorithms with later versions of Adobe Acrobat!

I'm planning to upgrade InDesign CS3 to the CS5 version in about 2 months.  I'll see if they fixed any of the glitches in CS3.  Despite it's old age, PageMaker is a much better behaved program in Vista Ultimate and much easier to use in general - that's why Adobe is keeping it around and still selling it.  Microsoft's Window's 7 compatibility program states that Adobe is offering a free upgrade to a 64-bit version of PageMaker - haven't found it yet.  But you know how well Microsoft and Adobe get along.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 3:56 AM   in reply to Philmont Fred

As there are many people around the world who would be happy to continue using PM on modern machines, and most of them seem to find it impossible to install the program on 64 bit machines, would you care to explain how did you manage to install it?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 5:25 AM   in reply to Claudio González

I'm guessing it involved some type animal sacrifice.

As for this: " Microsoft's Window's 7 compatibility program states that Adobe is offering a free upgrade to a 64-bit version of PageMaker - haven't found it yet"

It will never be found since such a thing will never exist. PM is dead and anyone trying to run it on anything later than XP in a mission critical environment is gambling with that mission.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 6:43 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I didn't do anything magical to install Pagemaker on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. I just installed it as I have always done. It works. Of course except for the printing issue. I don't know why Pagemaker expands the top and bottom margins. No matter what I set them to Pagemaker makes them bigger. This makes printing labels impossible. Other than that if you don't need accurate top and bottom margins it works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 7:32 AM   in reply to Claudio González

I just followed the normal installation instructions for PageMaker 7.0. and

then downloaded the .1 upgrade, which is no longer available.  Fortunately,

I saved the .1 upgrade executable to my hard drive when I did the

installation.  I'll be porting the program to Windows 7.0 next week, when I

upgrade my system from Vista Ultimate, 64-bit to Windows 7.0 Professional.

I'll let you know how that goes, if you are interested.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 7:37 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Well, I've been gambling since May, 2009, and haven't missed a deadline yet!

It sure beats the heck out of InDesign CS3, which I'm also using for the

smaller newsletter.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 7:38 AM   in reply to Philmont Fred

I hope you're not planning on doing an in place upgrade of Windows.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 2:42 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I'm investigating it, but probably will do a complete re-install.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2010 2:45 PM   in reply to Philmont Fred

Knock yourself out, but you're violating rule one...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You're already running on dumb luck. Don't come back here complaining when you can't get PM installed or running properly.

You've been warned.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 2:39 PM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)

Notwithstanding all of the comments in this thread, I am having a problem with PM7.0.1 on Win 7 (64).  I could only install 7.0 in Safe Mode, and could only install the update to 7.0.1 in Safe Mode, too.  If I tried in normal mode, the installation would stall at the completion of the preparation for install.

Now I can't open any of the files that still open fine on XP SP3, in normal mode or Safe Mode.  I get the error:  "cannot open file: 8009:16404"

I've checked all of the suggested solutions, including copying the file, all to no avail.  Any suggestions?  I know it's an old program, but switching is not an option at this stage.  My only recourse is to dump Win 7 and install XP.

Cheers,

Allan

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2010 2:42 PM   in reply to akirson

That is indeed your only recourse if you insist on using Pagemaker.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 7:38 AM   in reply to akirson

Another possibility is to get a second hand laptop tha

t runs on XP and keep it for working in PageMaker. It should cost you almost nothing, and it needs a negligible amount of storage space.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 5:10 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Thanks to both Bob and Claudio.  The user is an 80-year-old who has decades of work in Pagemaker and continues to create more stuff.  It is her whole life, so a laptop is not an option.  I'll explore upgrading the computer from Windows 7 to XP Pro.

I saw that there are a couple of people who are running it successfully on Win 7, and I have been able to launch PM and open a test document - it's just the existing files that won't open.  If I can open them on another XP machine, is there a trick to saving them that will resolve this?

Cheers,

Allan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 8:52 PM   in reply to akirson

I have been using PageMaker 7.0.1a on a 64-bit Vista Ultimate Machine for 18

months now - with not a single problem.  My newsletters are 25+ pages long.

You may find samples at www.foothillsbsa.org - go to the newsletter section.

PageMaker converts to PDF files fine and they are much smaller than similar

documents compressed to PDF via InDesign CS3.  (My InDesign Newsletters may

be found at www.kennesawmountaintrailclub.org)

After seeing the comments regarding Windows 7, I installed my copy of

PageMaker 7.0.1 on my wife's 64-bit Windows 7 Professional machine.  I had

not one problem installing it and it opened the last file I created on the

Vista Ultimate machine.  I had no printing problems, other than the fact

that I hadn't installed all of the fonts I'm currently using on the Vista

Ultimate machine.

I prefer Windows 7 Professional, but right now I'd have to completely

reinstall all my software on my machine to upgrade to Windows 7.0 - it is a

"heftier" machine than my wife's because of all the photo editing I do.

Have a GREAT Day!

Fred

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2010 5:20 AM   in reply to Philmont Fred

Consider yourself very, very lucky.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to (RPM_Editor)

I've been using PM 7 with Vista 64 bit and have had absolutely no problems.
    Since Dell went down the toilet, I bought an HP 64 bit Quad processor with 8 gigs of RAM.

I have a copy of Windows 7 sitting on the shelf, but since I am on a fixed income I can not afford the high cost of replacing my PM7 with InDesign.

I also have PM7 on my laptop which I bought 2 weeks before Win 7 came out. The free copy is also sitting on a shelf!

Therefore, I am sticking with my PM 7 and Vista Home Premium until everything dies.....including me!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to iowahugs2u

Upgrading from PM 7 to InDesign is still only USD199. I wouldn't call this a "high cost" for moving up...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 7:49 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Taking courage in hand to withstand the wrath of the 'experts', I'd like to report that like others I have successfully installed PageMaker v7.01a on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit notebook, and used it for several months.

The main problem I had was with Acrobat 7. As has been reported, there are no 64 bit printer drivers for this, so it will not integrate with PageMaker. However the Distiller continues to work fine. My solution has been to install the free PDF Creator, which installs its onw printer port, and then change the Document Setup to Compose to printer 'PDFCreator on pdfcmon'. I also found it necessary to set an alternative default PDF Reader to Acrobat to avoid PageMaker crashing on exit - I use PDF-XChange Viewer.

Of course, there remains the problem of placing later MS Office files. However, I can overcome this for Word2007 by saving as Word 6.0/95 - see Word 6.0/95 Not in "Save As Type" in Save As Dialog Box for details of how to do this. While this applies to earlier versions of Word, it works pretty much as described in 2007.

I note that despite all that is said in this forum, Adobe still has no qualms about selling PageMaker, and although the System requirements only lists up to Windows XP, it does not explicitly note that later Windows versions are not compatible.

Hopefully this will give those like me with only occasional need for PM for legacy documents the courage to give it a go...

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 3:57 AM   in reply to ChrisJakarta

While Chris has had some luck with Pagemaker on windows 7 your experience may differ.

On Acrobat, version 7 had nothing to do with pagemaker, I think the last version of acrobat distiller to ship with pagemaker was 5.0. Be very careful using free pdf creators with pagemaker, the pdfs may work on your inkjet, but then crash when you send it out for professional printing, or not work right on the web. Test the pdf's before you are up against a deadline.
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:42 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, I would love to use Indesign (and we do on our MAC platform) but what do you do when your client sends all their files in Pagemaker 7 format.  The Michigan State Court system designs their forms in Pagemaker and we sell those forms throughout the state.  I have to open those files, be able to manipulate them to add text for some clients and be able to sent the files in postscript to a platesetter.  We have been working fine on Windows XP but went to new Windows 7 machines and Pagemaker does not work.  We tried downloading the virtual windows XP onto the Windows 7 machine (which seems to work) which was suggested but still have not been successful with pagemaker..  We have to first install Pagemaker 6.0, then the 6.5 upgrade, and then the pagemaker 7 upgrade.  The 6.0 installs and works but we can't get 6.5 to open or work once installed.  Any ideas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to J Huston Harris

Dig one of those old machines out of the scrap heap and use that. It's the only thing I can even remotely recommend.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)