Skip navigation
Merchiers
Currently Being Moderated

Lighting effects

Apr 19, 2012 12:33 AM

Lighting effects is in the filter menu, so why doesn't it appear in the layers as a filter?

Aso: if you apply lighting effects to a layer with a pattern overlay, you have to turn off the pattern overlay to see the effect. Doesn't seem very logical.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to Merchiers

The Lighting Effects filter is only available when you launch Photoshop in 32-bit mode.

If on a Mac, do a Get Info (Command I) in the Finder on the application icon and check the 32-bit mode box before launching Photoshop.

32_bit_launch.jpg

In Windows, I understand separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Photoshop are installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to station_one

Actually, filter > render > lighting effects is in the 64 bit version of Photoshop. ( It looks a bit different from what you see if you open the Windows 32 bit version and navigate there) The New Lighting Effects Gallery is one of the GPU features and must be run on a compatible video card with 512MB (not available on Win XP)

Pattie

lighting effects.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Merchiers

How do you mean that LFX (lighting effects) doesn't appear in the layers as a filter?

If you run LfX on a layer it'll apply it to a layer like any other filter would, and as another option you can also use it with smart filters

target your layer -> Filter > Convert for smart filters -> Filter > Render Lighting Effects

This way you can go back into the layer and edit the LFX as you please.

As for applying a pattern "overlay" it would make sense that your'e overlaying a pattern over a layer for it to cover the layer up.

If you'd like to blend the pattern, that is totally up to you, and available using the Pattern Overlay layer style options in the dialog such as:

Blend mode: try "Overlay" or another blend mode to get desired result

or

Opacity: lower the opacity of the Pattern to see what's underneath.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to station_one

BTW, Station_one

The 32bit option in file info has been removed for CS6 on the Mac, it's 64bit only.

Perhaps you already knew that, since your screenshot shows the CS5 file info dialog

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Pattie,

Now I'm totally confused, which serves me right for even mentioning the Windows version in the first place.    My bad.

Thanks for the correction.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Pete.Green wrote:

BTW, Station_one

The 32bit option in file info has been removed for CS6 on the Mac, it's 64bit only.

Perhaps you already knew that, since your screenshot shows the CS5 file info dialog

Yes, I had even mentioned that myself in another post.

As I said in my response to Pattie, I'm sorry I even mentioned the Windows version, which only managed to get me utterly confused.  Hope everyone else is ignoring me.     If not, I apologize.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points