Skip navigation
torih13
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 Not Responding When New Document is Opened

Sep 29, 2010 4:51 PM

My InDesign immediately freezes and stops responding after I open a new document and move the cursor. The pinwheel appears and then eventually I have to force quit because it won't come back. I've never produced anything on this version of InDesign before -- I've opened it maybe twice since I installed the master collection last month. I'm using a 2010 macbook pro 15" with plenty of disk space. I uninstalled InDesign and then reinstalled it -- same problem. I removed the preferences and nothing worked. I have a huge project that needs to be done tonight and I am useless without InDesign! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 29, 2010 6:19 PM   in reply to torih13

Well, if you need it tonight you might be in for a bit of a struggle. If you don't have CS4 installed and absolutely must have CS5, the first thing I'd suggest would be uninstalling the entire suite, running the Clean Tool (to remove anything that might have been left behind by the installer) and then reinstalling. That might do the trick for you.

What OS are you using? Did this laptop come with Snow Leopard preinstalled, or did you install it yourself? Or are you still running 10.5? People who install 10.6 on top of 10.5 often report strange issues that are hard (or impossible) to track down and fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 4:54 AM   in reply to torih13

How much ram do you have in your Macbook? If you don't have at least 4GB it could give you problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 6:51 PM   in reply to torih13

I'm having the same problem. It also happens when I open a new document. The document opens but the pinwheel appears only after I move the cursor or attempt to make any actions. I'm working on a 2010 13" macbook, osx version 10.6.4. I've tried reinstalling it and removing preferences as well. The problem hasn't been fixed. I haven't installed any font applications yet and am sure it's not a font problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 5:06 AM   in reply to j8t33

I called Apple Tech support and talked with someone who walked me through removing preferences in a couple of different folders. That seemed to help quite a bit and cut down on some of the hangs. I also open disk utilities and repair permissions at least once a week. The biggest difference, and by that I mean I went for a week without a single hang, was that I disabled the Norton's internet security package I had installed. Then it started hanging again so I reinstalled Nortons.

I'm having hangs again. Not as often but 3 or 4 times randomly throughout the day and it's not just when I open files.

I'm beginning to think it is a problem with CS5 and not with the OSX operating system. I say this because I don't have a problem with anything other than Indesign.

Since Microsoft is trying to buy Adobe, I don't look for a fix to this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 5:59 AM   in reply to JGCreate2010

JGCreate2010 wrote:

Since Microsoft is trying to buy Adobe, I don't look for a fix to this problem.

I wouldn't put a lot of credibility in that rumor...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 6:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

True it is a rumor. But sometimes the rumors have a way of developing into the truth.

I'm just not real happy with the latest version of Creative Suite. I dumped Quark back when Indesign 2 came out and I haven't touched it but one or two times since then.

So far, this version of Indesign has proven to be too buggy for my work experience and all I get from Adobe tech support (when I get someone who actually speaks understandable English) is that it is an Apple operating system problem or maybe a corrupt font or maybe a third party software problem.

In all fairness, Mac tech support does claim that it seems to be an Adobe problem.

All I know is that I didn't have the problem until I installed CS5. CS4 was a workhorse.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 11:56 AM   in reply to JGCreate2010

It's only happening with InDesign for me. What preferences did you remove?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2010 11:06 PM   in reply to torih13

Yeah, I'm also on OSX 10.6.4. It's a brand new mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2010 5:18 AM   in reply to torih13

Do you have any anti-virus software installed? I had Norton's internet security for Mac installed. Just as an idea, I uninstalled it from my system and for some reason that has helped a lot. I went three days without a hang and then had a couple of days where it only did it once a day.

I'm actually more inclined to think it is a possible font problem because I do have some old fonts that I hate to spend the money on replacing or else there is a bug in either the OS or with Creative Suite that they haven't identified yet. Therefore I make sure I send the report to either Apple or Adobe when I do a force quit. Maybe one of the future updates will resolve it.

I wouldn't have my hard disk wiped - especially since it's a new computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 2:27 PM   in reply to torih13

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 2:35 PM   in reply to stiandeville

...eh, no. WTF Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 2:44 PM   in reply to stiandeville

what is the update supposed to do?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 7:37 AM   in reply to torih13

Don't know what the update fixed but it wasn't the problem. I've had four Indesign hangs already this morning.

These were when opening documents that were created yesterday, worked in yesterday, opened and closed yesterday - all with no problem.

It happens when I choose to open from the file menu. It happens when I select the file from my hard drive and double click on it to open. There is no rhyme or reason.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:10 PM   in reply to JGCreate2010

I've discovered that it's a plug-in problem. I dragged the plug-ins folder on to my desktop and InDesign worked fine. Though I'm not sure which plug-in is causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:39 PM   in reply to torih13

So after I removed the plug-ins folder, I placed them back again one by

one, and found that the plug-in that caused the problem was the plug-in called SING.InDesignPlugin in the text folder. Then I also found this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3013514

Just remove the plug-in and relaunch InDesign. It seemed to have work for everyone!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:39 PM   in reply to j8t33

j8t33 wrote:

I've discovered that it's a plug-in problem. I dragged the plug-ins folder on to my desktop and InDesign worked fine. Though I'm not sure which plug-in is causing the problem.

Do you have any third-party plugins? Those are the first suspects.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 3:43 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

No I don't have any 3rd party plug-ins. I've only recently installed cs5. In fact, I'm still using the trial version but I solved the problem by removing SING.InDesignPlugin. It seems to be the plug-in that's causing everyone the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 4:16 PM   in reply to j8t33

I'm still using the trial version but I solved the problem by removing SING.InDesignPlugin. It seems to be the plug-in that's causing everyone the problem.

No, it's causing problems for some people, who can resolve their issues by pulling it (assuming they don't actually need to use gaiji, and very few people using English-language ID need to make gaiji), but others remove the plugin and continue to experience the same problems. So, it's worth a shot, assuming you're not doing any serious Japanese typesetting, but it's not the sole cause of everyone's problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2010 8:06 PM   in reply to j8t33

I also removed the InCopyWorkflow folder and the Xmedia folder. I don't do anything requiring those plug-ins so maybe between the three I will have solved my problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to torih13

I have an iMac running OS10.7.3. I was having the same probelm (starts up fine, then I create a new document and it was followed by a pinwheel). This worked for me and now Im up and running: "the problem was the plug-in called "SING.InDesignPlugin" in the text folder (inside the Plug-Ins folder). Its deleted and all's good. Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to medi0169

Deleting plugins is never recommended.......they could be other issues as some plugin are vital.

If in case SING.Indesignplugin is problem then follow the this link:- kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408816.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points