Skip navigation
hotstarman
Currently Being Moderated

missing images on import

Apr 19, 2012 9:22 PM

In lightroom 4 when I import images it does not show all the images in the folder.  I have deleted the folder from lightroom and attempted to reload it.  When I did it had the same problem it did not show about half or the images in the folder.  I went back to the folder and check all the images and could not find anything wrong with the images.  Any help would be appreciated.*

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 11:10 PM   in reply to hotstarman

What type of images are not shown, RAW, JPG or ...?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 12:26 AM   in reply to hotstarman

Do all of your files conform to the following specs?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS42D207D7-B290-4baa-A896- AB71965BF24B.html

Color space might be an issue as well as compatibility settings for PSD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to hotstarman

I'm not sure I understand your last post. It sounds as though you are trying to reimport an image after copying it to the desktop. No, it likely won't show up if it already exists in the catalog in a different folder, if you have "New Photos" checked in the import screen.

Re your main issue.....is it possible that the files that Lightroom doesn't see are jpegs from 'pairs' of developed images, i.e. a raw and a jpeg having the same filename (but different extension, obviously)? If so, go check your Preferences (General Tab) and see if "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" is unchecked.....if it is it means that LR sees such pairs as, well, pairs and so doesn't import the jpeg (it merely notes it as a sidecar file to the prime copy). If all of that is true, you could check that option and then synchronise the folder (choose the option to show the import dialog) and you should see the missing files now listed and available for import.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to hotstarman

Hi Torrey,

To me this sounds still a bit confused.

Have you made up your mind what you want from LR to manage?

My principle is: LR will manage (i.e. know in its catalog) only the original file, in my case a raw converted to DNG.

Any derivative from it I export from LR, but do not find the need to have it managed as well, since I can re-issue it any time. I usually trash it after use, except PSD.

If you think different, you can choose in the export manager if the export result should be added to your catalog (a tick to set).

Then LR will keep track of all of them, wherever your export destination was.

If the derivatives are not of LR's issue, and you still want to have them inside your catalog, your need to import them.

Your general catalog settings need to allow for that, i.e. LR needs to consider them different files, so tick "treat raw and jpg as separate files".

Do you still have problems or does you last post indicate you solved it for you?

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to hotstarman

You could use dropbox or yousendit or such to post your images in question there.

Then publish the link to it here.

I will download them and see if they import into my catalog, to eliminate if the problem lies within the special files.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points