Skip navigation
av_gchale
Currently Being Moderated

Automatically scaling/sizing a PDF file

Apr 19, 2012 2:50 PM

I support a web-based application that includes a query tool which allows the user to generate a PDF file from the query results. The PDF file is generated in landscape orientation and contains several columns of data. If a user wants to print the PDF file, the user must change the page sizing so that the printed content fits the paper size. If the user does not change the page sizing and prints the PDF using the actual size option, the outermost columns are truncated from the printed results.

When a software application renders a PDF, is it possible to automatically resize PDF? It would be great if the user could print the PDF without having to change the page sizing.

I am not a developer, and I do not even know if I am asking this question in the appropriate forum. I am a technical writer trying to do some initial research on what I perceive to be an unfriendly process for our users. If I can get some confirmation on whether the automatic scaling/sizing is possible, I can convey that to the developers so that they may research it further. Thanks for your patience.

George

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to av_gchale

It is possible to add information to a PDF when it is created (or even afterwords, before it is download by the user) that forces the viewer to scale when printing (or various other options).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to av_gchale

No, that is not what I meant.

I meant that the PDF would carry instructions that tell Reader to PRINT it scaled – what you asked for.

You can also tell it the viewing scale default as well, if you wish.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to av_gchale

Setting the advanced PrintScaling property to the appropriate setting will override the local setting and force the document to print as desired.

(Optional; PDF 1.6)

The page scaling option to be selected when a print dialog is displayed for this document. Valid values are None, which indicates that the print dialog should reflect no page scaling, and AppDefault, which indicates that applications should use the current print scaling. If this entry has an unrecognized value, applications should use the current print scaling. Default value: AppDefault.

Note:

If the print dialog is suppressed and its parameters are provided directly by the application, the value of this entry should still be used.

These settings are explained in section 8.1, Viewer Preferences, page 577 of the following manual:         PDF Reference sixth edition Adobe®

Portable Document Format            Version 1.7                November 2006

Adobe Systems Incorporated

This document can be found at: http://www.aiim.org/documents/standards/pdf/Pdf_reference_1-7.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to nebigfoot

The Adobe PDF 1.7 Specification has been superseded by the ISO 32000-1:2008 document.  Please refer to that international standard instead.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points