Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Map your photos

Apr 20, 2012 3:37 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 3:37 AM   in reply to Community Help

Drg & drop to a saved location does not work. Is there a setting which needs to be turned on?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to john.b5862@btinternet.com

What happens? Do you get an error message? If so, please quote it exactly. Also, what operating system?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to dj_paige

No error message

Using windows 7 64bit

Can do it if I put a tick alongside the location

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to john.b5862@btinternet.com

You still haven't told us what happens ... what do you do and what do you see in LR when you try this?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to dj_paige

Nothing Happens - I create a saved location, the dotted white circle appears but when I try to drag images into the circle nothing happens

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to john.b5862@btinternet.com

john.b5862@btinternet.com wrote:

No error message

Using windows 7 64bit

Can do it if I put a tick alongside the location

I don't think you're supposed to be able to drag photos into saved locations.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to b_gossweiler

The Video tutorial "mapping your photos in LR4" shows this option, also the following text is in the help file:-

To add photos to the location, do one of the following:

Drag one or more photos from the Filmstrip into the white circle in the map.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to john.b5862@btinternet.com

Try highlighting the photos you want to geotag, then control-click on the desired spot on the map

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to f00sion

I've tried this (also Shift/click & Alt/click) and still nothing happens.

I am able to add images by highlighting them and ticking the box that appears alongside the relevent preset under "saved locations"

I doesn't explain why I can't drag & drop but I can achieve my objective.

Thanks to all for your help

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to john.b5862@btinternet.com

Obviously we all work in slightly different ways, but I'm not really understanding why you are trying to geotag by trying to drag into the circle of a saved location. If the circle isn't actually highlighted, and you drag an image to the correct coordinates on the map, the image WILL be added to the saved location if the coordinates fall within the defined area for the location. So why does it matter if the saved location is showing or not, surely it's more important to drag to the correct coordinates?

If you add geotag information by clicking on the box to the left of the saved location name, note that the actual coordinates added will be those for the exact centre of the saved location.....which could easily mean the GPS data you are adding is way off.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have a 5D Mark III - I bought the GPS module for it and for some reason, when I export my files to different formats, Lightroom 4 strips out the GPS data. What gives?

Why won't it keep the GPS data on the exported file?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to MichaelWeening

Michael,

Can you see the GPS data in LR? Make sure you don't have "Remove Location Info" checked in the export dialog.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to MichaelWeening

Updated to 4.1?

Sent from phone.

În data de 25.08.2012 02:51, "MichaelWeening" <forums@adobe.com> a scris:

Re: Map your photos  created by MichaelWeening<http://forums.adobe.com/people/MichaelWeening>in

Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4646766#4646766

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have created GPX files on my phone, loaded them into the map module and selected the corresponding photos. When I select "Auto-tag selected photos" from the pop-up menu where I loaded the track I get an error saying "No Matching Photos" I have checked the track data and the times of the photos and the track match - the track runs from 12:32 to 4:37 on 9-13-2012 and the photos were all taken within this time frame. Any ideas what might be going wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to ImageDesign704

Were the photos taken in the same time zone as your computer is running in?

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to b_gossweiler

No, I'm in the Eastern time zone and the photos were taken in California. The times in the track match those of the photos. Do I still need to account for the time zone?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to ImageDesign704

Times in the tracklog are recorded in UTC by definition of the GPX format. These values are translated into local time by LR, using the timezone settings your computer is running in.

In turn, those calculated values are compared to the capture times of the photos, which are local time by definition.

There are two solutions to this problem:

1. Specify a timezone offset for your track of -3hrs
      (which only works if there were no asynchronous DST changes during the tracklog timeframe)
    2. Set your computer to PDT temporarily when tagging the photos.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

When I try to specify an offset nothing happens - I click the menu item (I tried both the right-click menu and the "Map - Tracklog" menu) but nothing happens. I assume a dialog box should pop up. I also tried to change the time zone on my computer but I still get the "No Matching photos" error. It does, however, start an "operation" in the upper left corner of the application. It says "Auto-tag photos using Tracklog 1 photo" but it has been processing for about 4 minutes and does not appear to be doing anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to ImageDesign704

Would you mind uploading your tracklog to somewhere so we can have a look at it? I assume you DID load the tracklog before trying the offset.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to b_gossweiler

Yes - I loaded the track - I tried threee different ones actually. the track is here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23756902/Squaw_bike_ride_2012-9-11B.gpx

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to ImageDesign704

I've had a look at your tracklog and noticed that timestamps in your gpx file contain a timezone indication (-04:00). I'm not sure whether this is legitimate for trackpoints, but this seems to be the reason LR does not recognize the tracklog as a valid tracklog.

I've removed the timezone inidications on the trackpoints and loaded the tracklog successfully into LR. You can download the updated version from here:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhYTmZUb0JnYU5vSWNUQw

Try and see if you can now play with the time offset dialog.

So there are two issues here:

1) Why does LR not successfully load the tracklog, but not issue an error message (bug)

2) Is the DateTime format containing a timezone legitimate for a trackpoint DateTime, and if so, why does LR not handle it (Google Earth seems to handle it correctly).

I would report both issues (including the original and the updated sample tracklog) on the official bug reports forum.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

This did fix the problem - I was able to load the track AND change the time offset. Editing the other tracks in a similar manner allowed those to work as well. Thanks! One odd thing is that the offset required was +4 hours, which seems a little odd. I will report the issue.

Thanks again

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to Community Help

Reverse geocoding is great. But I can't figure out when it happens. I find reverse geocodes in files imported since LR4, but not in most files imported earlier. However, at least one file from early 2011 is properly reverse geocoded.

So my question is: does reverse geocoding only happen at import? More important, is there a way to force reverse geocoding for already imported files that are not reverse geocoded already?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to Community Help

It appears that ONLY the photos within the current selected directory in the Library appear in the Map. Qestions:

1.-  Is there anyway to change the directory without having to switch modules.

2.- Can I select MORE than one Directory at the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to SemperAugustus

1.-  Is there anyway to change the directory without having to switch modules.

You can choose from favorites or recent sources in the breadcrumb bar.

2.- Can I select MORE than one Directory at the time.

Yes (Ctrl-click).

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

It would be great to have the folders available within the Map module, but at least now I can select multiple directories and see all photos in the map. THANKS! that really helped!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to Community Help

Hi, for all my pictures for the last 5 year I have coded them in the meta data with city location and country. Is there a way I can use these to show all my pictures in the map view?  Or to convert the country / city meta data to GPS co-ordinates?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Community Help

I have 1000 images (RAW&JPG) from different cameras, and about 20 GPX files covering most (but not all) of these images.

How can I apply all of the GPX files to all of the images (having no GPX data)? I was only able to select single GPX files.

How can I prevent images to be  tagged by a GPX date far away from the image date (called "fuzzy" in other tools)?

How can I display multiple tracks in a map?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to Photixx

You can only display multiple tracks from a single gpx file. Use Track

button on the toolbar.

Sent from phone.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to Community Help

Is it possible to print the map (with the blue line from gpx-data)?

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Lutz Wittenberg

No - I'm guessing there are some legal reasons for that (Google has the copyright for the maps).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to Lutz Wittenberg

You can always capture the screen and print it.... I did for a recent trip to Iceland.. see here

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to SemperAugustus

Thanks, that's exactly what I realized

yesterday and it worked. Thanks for your

answer.

Lutz

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 17.03.2013 um 18:19 schrieb SemperAugustus <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Re: Map your photos

created by SemperAugustus in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

You can always capture the screen and print it.... I did for a recent trip to Iceland.. see here

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5155065#5155065

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re:  Map your photos

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re:  Map your photos. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points