Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Feature: Media Browser and Preview in Files Panel

Apr 18, 2012 3:21 PM

Another two-fer feature overview for Audition CS6.  When we started the re-write for Auditino CS5.5, it quickly became clear that the hack Audition 3 used to enable preview within the Open File dialog was no longer going to fly.  With Windows 7 and OS X, the APIs to customize these dialogs were lacking or potential pitfalls of programming peril, and the unfortunate decision was made to not include them with CS5.5.  Additionally, and at no fault of Microsoft or Apple, preview within the Files panel was not implemented.  These two missing tools unleashed a pretty loud cry from our users.  I hope our answer to these requests in CS6 will satisfy everyone.

PREVIEW IN FILES PANEL

It's not a glamorous feature by any means, but so crucial and glaring when it's missing.  Like oxygen.  So breathe free with preview in the Files panel!  Yes, all your favorites are back including Loop Play toggle, and Auto-Play!  You may even hide the panel transport if you really don't care about it!  And even then, when you realize how nice it was to have but are too stubborn to expose it again, you can secretly toggle Auto-Play and Loop from the panel menu.  It'll be our little secret.  I'll never tell...

Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 10.38.55 AM.pngScreen shot 2012-04-18 at 10.36.27 AM.png
Note the mini time display when playing or after pausing preview, and the ability to sort files by open order or last-accessed order.

MEDIA BROWSER

A feature so nice I should probably have written about it first.  You get what you pay for, however, and these forums are a free service.  Who needs an Open File dialog, which is only available when you need to open a file but provides little value otherwise?  There's likely some reason they've been so popular the last 30 or more years of application UI design, but Audition CS6 has a little something more useful.

Easily browse your local drives, removable and thumb drives, and mounted network locations from within Audition!  Preview files without opening them!  Filter out unsupported media!  Create Shortcuts to your favorite locations! I know, right?!

Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 10.51.29 AM.png

But wait, that's not all!  Drag-and-drop your assets into the Files panel or directly into your multitrack session timeline!  Insert into a new or existing CD Layout!  Send a group of files into the Match Volume panel for amplitude/ITU Loudness adjustment!  Even reveal the file directly in your OS file explorer!  Hide the left-hand Root location panel and use the fancy little dropdown selector at the top of the panel!  There's a lot going on in this panel, and it comes FREE with your purchase of Adobe Audition CS6.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to _durin_

You're just churning 'em out today, Durin! Have to say, as far as media browsers go, this one looks very comprehensive. And to think, it's free!

Here's one thing I'd love to see in a media browser: Audio thumbnails. If you've ever been to http://www.freesound.org/ , they have these lovely little amplitude / spectrogram hybrid blobs to quickly give you an idea of how the sound is structured. This comes especially handy when your source material may have multiple takes in one file, separated by silence. Just one little wish for the future... =)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to _durin_

I have more than a terabyte of old sound effects over the years stored on a mix of external hard drives and CDs (some of which are red book and some are CD Rom.  My indexing is rubbish because I'm a sound guy not a librarian.

I suspect your media browser and preview in files feature will become more popular with me than the oxygen you mentioned.  Oxygen is over rated.

....waiting with bated breath for the day you announce I can download the trial!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 3:22 AM   in reply to _durin_

Oh my.  The media browser is going to be my new best friend.

This release is really looking like a winner all around.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to _durin_

Wonderful!!!

BUT....will we be able to set the Preview to play at current session tempo/bmp?

Duff

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to _durin_

Hi!

We got a similiar problem. Why we can't preview any sounds in media browser during playing the session? When I want to preview any sound in media browser the multitrack stops. In Audition 3 was much easier to select background music, when we heard voice over in background. Thank you in advance for help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to _durin_

I LOVE the Media Browser in AA CS6, however, is there any kind of search functionality in the media browser (rather than bumbling around folder trees trying to find boot footsteps)?  And if not, could that be added to an update rather than in the next version?  My upgrade to CS6 is pretty much assured; it would just be less irksome if a media search function could be implemented into this version rather than the next...  or if it's already there, DO tell me!  That would be most exciting!

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 1:53 AM   in reply to _durin_

Just a thought from me...

The search function suggested would work really well for me--I have a huge library that isn't all that nicely indexed (Best Scotty imitation:  "I'm a sound guy, not a librarian, cap'n!)

However, with my workflow, I'm less concerned with the idea of using the preview while a session is playing--and adjusting tempo/bpm in preview holds no interest for me at all.  It all sounds too complicated (a bit like making preview another track in MT) whereas I just use it to find the basics then drag things into the session to try them out there.

...but, as always, I love hearing all the different ways there are to use Audition!

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 2:38 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

_durin_: We are glad that you are working about it, but as we understood we can expect this kind of functionality in next version of Audition? We are great fans of your software since cool edit. We are working on it for about 13 years and must admit that politics of your company is a suprise for us. Adobe 1.0. complete non stabile, 1,5 corrected, 2.0- perfect. 3.0 very good but with few shortcomings. We are waiting for an upgrade for our pack (2xAA 2.0 + 1xAA 3.0 + new work station). We were happy that we heard that version 5 is comming, but in our industry is useless. Version 6 without few small details would be acceptable, but we won't  buy incomplete software without patch support in full price. It is a fact that you made good job because restoration of advanced tools is very fine and the engine is shocking fast. Our proposal - please give us next version for test one day before publication. Tests are free because in our opinion it is best software in our job and we wont change it. We are waiting for version 7.0 .

Bob howes: I understand that it might be non important function for you, but please try to produce a sound commercial and match the music about 100-200 examples not using the preview, just by drag to the multitrack. Repeat this several hundred times. You will change your mind And this only one of many functionality of this button.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to Mikrofonika

As CS6 has only just come out you may have a pretty long wait for CS7 I would think.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to ryclark

It was about 6 months between premiere 5 and 6.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points