I have created a site and use the Dynamic Menu module to do the navigation. They look ok in Chrome and Firefox but when open IE8 and previous versions, the menus are pushed off farther to the right and stick for a long time. There is also a mysterious horizontal rule above my menu in these versions of IE also! I cannot figure out how to fix.. however my customer is relatively unhappy. Perhaps due to my intermediate nature as a web developer
Any clues or suggestions would be fantastic:
You got to get the coding and css right.
IE 8 and IE7 have issues with how it renders stuff, IE7 does not clear floats correctly for example.
With a menu you need to ensure the li parent element of dropdowns has a position relative and the ul child is absolute positioned for example. I often see only the latter. Padding will often thow you out for IE7 and IE8 due to their box modal. You should use line height for vertical centering over top bottom padding.
I've got a similar problem at the moment. But this is with the most basic Dynamic Menu possible (due to probs with Oxo template and floats/backwards compatibility). I may redo the menu later, but for now I just need to get this last bit working.
So, the submenus aren't appearing directly under their parent item. Plus they change position depending on what browser I'm using, as well as what size the screen is!
I've fiddled with the offset settings in the Dynamic Menu so that it is approximately right in IE with a maximised window, but it isn't really good enough.
Is one of the styles somehow affecting it? It works when I put it on a blank page:
And in the body of a page based on the template:
But not when it's where it's supposed to be!
I also have created this in the most simple way - I don't hand code any of
my dynamic menus so I'm not really sure how to proceed.....
If I were going to change the characteristics, would I need to find the
style sheet that BC assigned to it and go edit the tags myself?
I would recommend outputing the dynamic menu in an unordered list. You can do this if you open up the dynamic menu in the back-end and under the menu details, set the menu type as "CSS (HTML Only)". You will have more felxibility when it comes to styling the menu.
I created an example menu that had a similar style to yours and wrote some CSS if you would like to use that as a starting point for styling the unordered menu list and dropdown. This may not work perfectly with your site but - again - a starting point. You can see what I did here - https://gist.github.com/2421348
In my example, note that I wrapped the dynamic menu module tag in <div id="menu">
Let me know where this gets you!
Carol | www.bcgurus.com/Business-Catalyst-Templates for only $7
Thank you, trying that this morning. Just have never built one by hand
before but luckily have a starting point now. Disappointed though that the
BC tool that creates it for you isn't compatible with older versions.