• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't open or create new documents, works breifly after full windows restart.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am having an issues with photoshop becoming unresponsive. After about 10 minutes Photoshop will not open or create a document.

I've spent hours trying to fix this with no results. I've spent time on Nvidia's forums and tried downgrading the driver back to 275.33 with the same results. I've disabled opengl in photoshop with the same results. This error occurs on both CS5 and CS6 versions of photoshop. I've tried reinstalling photoshop (not removing and reinstalling, just reinstalling).

I can't tell if it's a photoshop issue or a Nvidia issue. I've read countless threads on this forum and can't find any help. Please help.

I've made this video to show you the issues. Thank you for your help

Video of issue - http://screencast.com/t/kG1YgmQ7 

Windows 7 x64

Nvidia GTX 275 v296.10

12gb DD3 Ram

Adobe Photoshop CS5/CS6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have never seen this problem posted.  Appears that when you click on a file topic it just does not register with PS or the OS so it just closes again.

Have no answer, but this post will bump it up so maybe someone else will see it to comment.

The video is a nice touch as it looks like you have done your homework.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a specific answer, but if all else fails, you could try zero write your hard drive (after back up of course), then do a fresh install of the OS / apps. That usually corrects a lot of problems that still exist after other trouble shooting attempts. I know it's a pain in the butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not just a GPU problem - that's something at the OS level.

A GPU problem wouldn't prevent the menu from working or the new document dialog from showing up.

Even drawing documents on another display wouldn't cause the menu and dialog to behave as you showed.

The menu: something is causing menu interaction to fail or events to be consumed before they get to Photoshop.

The keyboard sometimes working: same as above.

Opening files to not work: could be event problems, could be a display or UI problem (but normally Photoshop would catch the error and display it to the user).

Try closing as many other applicaitons as possible, and see if the problem goes away.

I do know that in the past UltraMon has had problems similar to this, but I thought they'd been solved years ago.

Other system level utilities could cause event problems like this, or malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to all the posters. I reall, really, really, need to avoid reinstalling Windows. It will be a full day lost for me at least.

I'm starting to think it's a Flash issue. The only way I can perdictibly recreate the problem is to go on the internet and start running flash applications. At some point, often not right away, the problem will occur. Anyone give any traction to this idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible, we have seen Flash running in a browser cause problems with certain keyboard events before.

But I haven't seen it interfere this much!

Try going to Adobe.com and getting the latest Flash Player, to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's an adapter issue, further more a player issue. I belive I know the problem. And the answer. It is definetely a flash issue. I've been having the same issues too. Problem: Ben, when I watch a video or something on youtube, almost every video gets a lego brick: Adobe Flash has crashed. Then, ever since those errors, it would not let me open or interact in Photoshop. The Answer: Try reinstalling Adobe Flash Player or try updating it. I Updatedit , and, the problem went away, I can now interact with Photoshop. I don't think Adobe has addressed this issue quite yet, further more identified it either. Glad to help!

-Nathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same trouble as OP: Photoshop opens but will not create a new document or open an existing one. In addition to that, I've noticed that if you hammer on ctrl+n enough times and manage to actually get a document open, PS won't save it but will go through the motions of doing so.

There have been quite a few reports of this issue now over the last year or so and they seem specific to PS CS5 and up. They all remain unresolved. This is actually an easily searchable issue now. 

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3986474

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/911210

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/912268

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/915994

I'm currently working on a big project across the suite and all the other Adobe applications are running fine.

I have tried all the suggested fixes with no result. One other issue that did become apparent, was re-installing PS. After uninstallation, the Adobe installer kept encountering "Exit Code 7" when trying to reinstall PS. The only way around this in the end seemed to be removing all Adobe software from the system and starting again. The original issue remains.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that PS CS5 has worked without any problems on this system for just under a year now. I haven't made any drastic changes to the system so I'm completely baffled as to why this is happening.

Hope this post goes some way to the issue being acknowledged and rectified.

-Windows 7 64 bit

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

-16 GB RAM

-100 GB + Remaining Disk Space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CannyPics wrote:

There have been quite a few reports of this issue now over the last year or so

No there haven't.  I think I remember one here on this forum.  It's not happening for other people in any big way, so it is very likely a specific problem on your computer and the rectification is very likely going to have to come from you.  We all take on the responsibility of integrating the things we buy for our computers.

Not sure how long you've been working on the problem, but have you tried using the System Restore facility to return your system configuration back to a time when it did work properly?

Are any errors logged in your event logs?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most similar reports were about video card driver problems (the driver fails to display the image correctly).

So, something has changed recently on your system to cause this -- you need to track down what changed.  That could be a plugin, a driver, or some other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow me to add to this mystery. Right before this issue occurs the same image of a favicon sized orange clock will appear in my clipboard. I have no idea what this image is, or where it comes from. To test this I make sure not to copy anything and yet right before the "Can't open error" starts I always find it. Untitled-1.jpg

This keeps getting weirder and weirder. PS no logged error events coincide with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also correct me if I'm wrong but is everyone piggybacking this thread with the same issue having the problem with Win 7 x64 and an Nvidia GTX series card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PinpointMusic12 wrote:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but is everyone piggybacking this thread with the same issue having the problem with Win 7 x64 and an Nvidia GTX series card?

It seems that way, all the previous threads look to be using this too.

I'm finding this very frustrating. At the end of the day, I have bought some software that doesn't work and I don't seem to be able to get support. I'm sorry to sound confrontational at all, that's the last thing I want but I think you are mistaken when you say this hasn't been mentioned before Noel. In my first post I included links to other threads with this same issue. It's not necessarily an issue "in a big way" but it is an issue nontheless and we're just trying to find some help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say "hasn't been mentioned", but it's not common.  You have specific problems on your system, and unfortunately because they're not common amongst a lot of people you're really going to have to take on the task of troubleshooting.

I have Windows 7 x64 and don't see these problems - ever, on any version of Photoshop, no matter how long Windows has been running.  What I *don't* have is a nVidia graphics card. 

I am not fond of nVidia products, because their driver quality leaves a lot to be desired.  Note that I am a graphics software developer so I do know something about what's going on under the covers.

Anecdotally, around the time of Vista, I had a  nVidia graphics card - one that cost $1,000.00.  I had nothing but problems, and I was convinced the operating system was a flaky load of horse manure.  NO version of driver nVidia had developed settled it down.  In fact, newer drivers made the problems worse and worse.

After trying to stabilize it for months I finally broke down in desperation and spent a hundred and a half dollars on a mid-range "gamer" ATI graphics card, which (because it was a newer design) actually had better performance specs than older Quadro workstation card I had been trying to use.  EVERYTHING turned around.  My system completely stabilized and I was able to use that installation of Vista literally for years without further faults.  To this day I only buy ATI cards, and I haven't been disappointed.  Sure, ATI flubs a driver release now and again, but apparently not as often as nVidia.

Your nVidia GTX card and its drivers may - or may not - be at the core of the problems you're seeing but if nVidia IS the cause (and it's possible), Adobe can't very well do anything to fix their problems now can they?  Adobe uses your graphics card quite heavily - probably more intensively than any other application.  Makes sense, it's a cutting-edge graphics application.

Since there seems to be some thought that the nVidia drivers are involved with this problem, try removing them, and installing a different version.  If the problem is changed, voila, you have both an answer and a workaround.  If the problem isn't changed, try a different version still.  Rest assured that Photoshop can open and save files consistently, or Adobe wouldn't be successful at selling the product.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, problem solved. Nvidia have put out an update that seems to have it sorted.

Apologies to all for getting quite terse here but it really was irritating as hell feeling like there was no support for some quite pricey software!

Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.  Glad to hear you've got it sorted.  This underscores the fact, which occasionally becomes poignant, that we users are the ones ultimately responsible for integrating all the software and hardware we have on our systems.  It's the price we pay for monetarily inexpensive software and hardware.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I get a link to this Nvidia update you speak of

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Noel, Thanks for the link but that leads to the 296.10 drivers that still have issues, updated Early March

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible they've released drivers for CannyPics' video card but not yours?  Or maybe that the drivers are beta level...  Video gamer sites often get copies of those early.  Maybe CannyPics will see your note.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found and installed a Beta of driver 301.24. Issue presists on my GTX 275. Ready to give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that.

As one who fought software issues with nVidia for a while myself, then "gave up" and bought an ATI card to my great relief, I can honestly say I will never buy another nVidia card.  ATI isn't perfect - sometimes they botch driver releases too - but they generally have better quality than nVidia.  They also seem to stretch the truth less with their ad copy.

That said, it's not really a certainty that in your case the display driver / GPU are at fault - though in CannyPics case it was.

For what it's worth, I've had nothing but rock solid reliable results from Photoshop CS5 on my system, in which I have an ATI Radeon HD 5670 card installed.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I don't want to jix it but I believe after about 20 hours I've resolved the issue. It appeared to be issue resulting from Gotomeeting and/or the Gotomeeting plugin for Microsoft Outlook messing with the windows clipboard. That's what the orange icon was about that I posted in my response on Apr 22, 2012 1:45 PM.

I'll update in a few days but as of the Gotomeeting uninstall I've gotten 12 hours with no PS crash and that's far and away the longest time in months.

Thank you to everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch.  Guess we'll have to add GotoMeeting to our tech support documents.

Thanks for letting us know what you found!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some additonal info for the Devs regarding this.

I have Photoshop CS5 and was having the EXACT same problem as the OP.

However I was dealing with a fresh install for the most part. I built a brand new PC and had loaded chipset drivers for my motherboard, driver suite for my GPU, photoshop and one game when I noticed this problem. Everything worked fine on my old Core2duo 32bit XP computer though...

Turning off services one at a time until Photoshop worked told me that the problem was with my MSI Afterburner and MSI Kombuster software that came with the GPU. Once these programs were uninstalled Photoshop was back to normal operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines