I have a very large RH9 HTML project imported from Word. I need to rename some topics, but it cannot be done. On the Project pod, some of the topics produce context menus including the Rename function but others produce much shorter menus that do not include Rename (or Copy or several other items). The topics with the shorter context menu also have the topic filename and title grayed out on the Properties dialog; those whose context menus include Rename allow changes on the Properites dialog. There is nothing different from one topic to the next. So I can rename some topics but not others. Can someone help me? This is very frustrating.
Welcome to our community
Are any of these topics created by virtue of linking to Word?
In case you are unclear, before you decide to work with Word content, you make a decision. Do I want to simply import the content where what was once only edited in Word is sucked inside RoboHelp and I now forget it ever existed as a Word document. From here forward, if changes need to be made, I make them using RoboHelp.
Or do I want or need to contiue editing the Word document and simply update the RoboHelp Topics that were created from the document from time to time as the Word document is edited and changes.
So how exactly are you working with this?
Helpful and Handy Links
I wanted to link, but my original Word document was so large that I ended up importing and maintaining in RoboHelp. Understand that this project is enormous.
But could it be that I can rename the topics created in RoboHelp but not those from Word? (This just occurred to me.)
Per my earlier email—I have checked, and some of the topics that I know came in directly from Word have the longer context menu including Rename, while others that I know I have created since do not have the longer context menu.
Okay, I'll bite.
Describe enormous. Click Tools > Reports > Project Status and tell us how many topics the Total Topics area presents.
Helpful and Handy Links
Windows 7. “C” as in . The path that RH created for me. Not my own administrator, but don’t see what that would affect, since as I say, some topics I can rename and some I can’t.
This was originally intended to be a programmers’ reference; never intended to be online help. In fact, I told them when I started that online help was something different. Two-plus years later, had to turn into user help.
I don't think it came across again - you're probably referring to the default "My RoboHelp Projects" folder - it's usually really deep in the path length & you can end up with some really long paths to your topics. That's why the projects folder off the root is "best practices."
I don't remember if you mentioned if you can mess around with a new topic you create in the project or not. You might also try playing with one of the sample projects to see if you're experiencing the same effect.
Sorry—we had a shower over lunch. ANYWAY:
1. Sample project has correct context menu on all topics tested.
2. All topics, when looked at in Explorer, have the same (security) permissions, whether created from Word or created in RH. I have complete permissions to all of them.
3. Thought it might have to do with length of filename—nope—no correlation.
4. Thought it might have to do with conditional tags—nope—no correlation.
Check the rhworddocs.apj in notepad. Perhaps there’s some garbage left over from your original tries. This is a desperate guess, as this is all I can think of. You can try the following:
1. Backup your project.
2. Create a blank project and paste the rhworddocs.apj from the new project in your project.
3. Delete project CPD.
4. Open project.
Now all references to linked word documents should be completely removed.
Europe, Middle East and Africa