Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I have files and folders in several locations - documents-adobe; my pictures; myelements5.

Apr 20, 2012 9:06 AM

About a month or two ago, I moved and somehow the photo files and folders I used to access directly from the PSE5 icon now can only be accessed from My Documents / Adobe or My Pictures.  How can I get all my files in one place and continue to download with the newest download appearing first when I click All Photos?  I have 22 T photos and want to spend some time organizing them effectively and also deleting any duplicates.  I'm not even sure if I'm deleting photos completely or just at one address.  I've tried to find local assistance, contacted Adobe to pay for support  and was unsuccessful in both instances.  I'm a senior and didn't grow up with computers but have been fine teaching myself PSE 5.  I sure would appreciate opening a dialog with a pro that can give me some guidance.  Thanks in advance.  Cozee

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to warblerbird

warblerbird wrote:

About a month or two ago, I moved and somehow the photo files and folders I used to access directly from the PSE5 icon now can only be accessed from My Documents / Adobe or My Pictures. 

How does your moving affect the fact that you can't access your photos from PSE5? Do you mean that the photos in PSE5 have question marks next to them?

How can I get all my files in one place and continue to download with the newest download appearing first when I click All Photos?  I have 22 T photos and want to spend some time organizing them effectively and also deleting any duplicates.  I'm not even sure if I'm deleting photos completely or just at one address.  I've tried to find local assistance, contacted Adobe to pay for support  and was unsuccessful in both instances.  I'm a senior and didn't grow up with computers but have been fine teaching myself PSE 5.  I sure would appreciate opening a dialog with a pro that can give me some guidance.  Thanks in advance.  Cozee

To tell you the truth, I think you are missing a key point here. The benefit of the PSE Organizer is not that it allows you to organize via folders. If you want to organize via folders, you already have Windows to do that (and Windows does a better job with a better interface). The benefit of the PSE Organizer is that it grives you different tools than folders, tools which in my opinion are far superior to folders. These PSE tools are tags and optionally captions and notes. If you assign tags, captions and notes diligently to your photos, and use those tags, captions and notes to describe the image content, you then have a different way of finding your photos ... by image content, not by folder location ... and in fact you don't need to know what folders the photos are in because PSE knows. PSE does the hard work of remembering where things are, so you don't have to.  So in my opinion, this whole idea of straightening out the folder locations of your photos is way off base ... you now have better tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to warblerbird

Okay, lets see if when can figure out how to re-connect the photos and make the ? go away.

The problem is that PSE thinks the photos are in Folder A, and actually the photos are in Folder B (or the photos got renamed, in which case you have a real mess). The easiest way to fix this is to move the photos (using Windows) back to Folder A.

So, go to a photo with a question mark in PSE, right-click on the photo and select Properties. Write down the folder that PSE thinks the photos should be in, I will call this Folder A. Then, find the photo in Windows, they will be in a different folder, which I will call Folder B. Using Windows, move the photo from Folder B to Folder A. This should make the ? go away in the PSE Organizer.

If that works, then you need to figure out if you can move all photos in Folder B to Folder A. Typically you would be able to do this if somehow an entire folder got moved in Windows. If it appears that is what happened, that the entire folder moved, then using Windows, move all photos from Folder B to Folder A.

Let's try that much and see how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to warblerbird

Windows can search for your photos, if you know the name, for example if PSE tells you the photo's name is DSC_0657.jpg, then you would have Windows do that search. Exactly how depends on which version of Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to warblerbird

Well, going by memory (since I don't have XP) if you right-click on My Computer, one of the options is Search. Select that. Type in the name of the photo, and click on Search

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points