Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

File Permissions Error

Apr 19, 2012 9:48 PM

Tags: #file #error #importing

I'm having problems importing wmv files into Media Encoder 5.5.

The error i get is "The file Z:\file\path\file.wmv could not be imported. Could not open sourcefile. Please check that file exists with correct permissions". The file plays in windows media player and vlc. This happens on all computers even my personal computer which is not on a domain. I have checked the permissions for that file and I have full control over the file. I even set my user as the owner of the file. My permissions level is domain administrator so there should not be any problems with modifying the file. I also installed Media Encoder 5.5 on a computer that was not apart of the domain and tried to import the file on that system. I had the same error. I am running Windows 7. This is the third file I have created with After Effects that has had this problem. Also Premiere Pro is unable to import wmv files. Please help me! I don't know what esle to do!

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to jdonnlly

Don't export WMVs out of AE for later use.  Use something lossless as an intermediate.

The free UT codec works well inside Adobe programs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to jdonnlly

It's kind of a given that you shold be working entirely from local drives.

But my advice still holds.  WMV is what you create once you're done.  A lossless file for further use/transcoding is the better way to go here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points