Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help Editing the corners of the 'rounded rectangle shape'

Apr 20, 2012 12:20 PM

Hi all, I'm looking to make a rectangle but it needs curved edged.

I see theres a rounded rectangle tool which is half way there, I just need the the corners to be more circle if that makes sence.

How could I do this please?

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to simpson246

Simpson,

The Rounded Rectangle has quarters of circles at the corners.

If you want to have only two straight segments, you may set the Radius to half the smaller side length.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to simpson246

Select the Rounded Rectangle tool and then Option Click where you want the rectangle. You will get a dialog where you can set the size and corner radius of the object or just use the Effect>Convert to Shape>Rounded rectangle which has the advantage of adjusting the radius on the fly.

Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 12.22.40 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to simpson246

Simpson,

You may:

1) Create a Rounded Rectangle corresponding to the desired roundings at the top,

2) Create a (sharp edged) Rectangle with the same width and half the height, bottom and centre aligned with the rounded one (Align is bundled with the Transform and Pathfinder boxes),

3) Select both and Pathfinder>Unite,

4) Delete the superfluous Anchor Points with the Delete Anchor Point Tool (bundled with the Pen Tool).

Unless you do mean that you want

the bottom left and right to be a right angel

in which case you will have to make somewhat more elaborate shapes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to simpson246

Another way would be to make your object with the Rounded Rectangle tool with the height equal to the size you want plus the radius of the circle. Then DIrect Select the two Anchor points on the bottom and delete. Select the Object again and Cmd(Ctrl)-J to join the bottom points.Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 12.57.22 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to simpson246

Just Direct Select (the open arrow by either Shift selecting or boxing) the two bottom anchor points as indicated in the second rectangle on the image shown. Notice that the two are solid while the others are hollow. This indicates that they are active and when you hit the delete key it should look like the third but the whole path will be active. Then just use the Join command.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to simpson246

For my part you are welcome, Simpson.

In case you will need the method for another task where the excellent solution given by Larry is unfit,

I've created the rectangle inside it and it's al lined up but having trouble deleting the extra line.

please elaborate on the last part, and

Also, I've deleted them both and clikced pathfider although there's no unite

I presume you mean selected, and in earlier versions, Pathfinder>Unite is called Pathfinder>Add to shape area (depending on version, you may need to hold Alt/Option to get a simple path).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to simpson246

For my part you are welome, Simpson.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers